cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new Nexus 2232 on old Nexus 5010p

pieterj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new Nexus 2232 that I have removed from a Nexus 7K in our lab running NX-OS 5.2. I want to install this 2232 into a production network onto a existing 5010P running NX-OS 4.2.1.

Will the FEX follow the same upgare procedure when its active image is newer than the switch it is being connected to?

has anyone done this before?

Thanks

PJ

1 Reply 1

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

Yes FEX will fetch the image from its parent switch and it does not matter where it was connected before. Think about RMA process if any FEX fails and you get and repalcement unit from Cisco. You do not know where it was connected before and what image it had.

Here is sequence of events happens when you connect any FEX to N5K or N7K

-Fabric extender is discovered by switch using an L2 Satellite Discover Protocol (SDP) that is run on the uplink port of fabric extender

-NX5K checks software image compatibility, assign an IP address and upgrade the fabric extender if necessary

-N5K pushes programming data to Fabric Extender

-Satellite Control Protocol (SCP) used to manage the running state of the line card

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: