Replies

Nexus 1000v - port-channel "refresh"

moranbrendan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

My question is, does anyone have any information on this 1000v command:

Nexus-1000v(config)# port-channel internal device-id table refresh

I am looking for a way for the port-channel interface to be automatically removed from the 1000v once the VEM has been deleted, currently the port-channel interface does not disappear when the VEM has been removed. This seems to be causing problems once the same VEM is re-added later on. Ports are getting sent into quarantine states and ending up in invalid states (eg. NoPortProfile state when there is actually a port-profile attached).

Anyway, if anyone can explain the above command or tell me how to find out more, it would be great, I can't find it documented anywhere and the context-sensitive help in the NXOS is vague at best.

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brendan,

I don't have much information on that command, but I do know it wont remove any unused port channels.  They have to be manually deleted if they're no longer needed.

The port Channel ID will remain even after a VEM is removed in case the assigned VEM comes back.  When a VEM is decommisioned permanently, I'll do a "no vem x" to also remove the Host entry for that VEM from the VSM.  This way the module slot # can be re-assigned to the next new VEM inserted.  After adding/removing VEMs just do a "show port-channel summary" to see any unused Port Channel IDs, and delete them.  It's a quick & painless task.

I would hope this wouldn't be a common issue - how often are you deleting/removing VEMs?

Regards,

Robert

simon.wright
Level 1
Level 1

Can I ask why you are deleting a vem then re-adding it later so I may try the same.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: