cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5672UP/ GLC-T Module Issue (Link not connected)

nsti_0682
Level 1
Level 1

I've run across an issue with a new 5672UP switch and GLC-T modules that I was hoping someone had an answer for. When I insert the GLC-T modules into the 5672UP and plug in another device (via CAT 6 Ethernet), the other device (an ASA in this example) gives me a link light and show 'UP/UP' but the interface on the 5672UP shows "Link not connected". I've tried another port within the first 32 ports with the same result. When I insert the GLC-T module into one of the UP's (ports 33-48), it works just fine. I can't think of any other reason for this behavior other than a bug. I'm running the latest version, 7.3(1)N1(1). I'd open a Cisco TAC case but I'm waiting on the devices to get covered under a contract which will likely take a week or so. In the meantime I figured I'd try this forum.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I just found this, looks pretty specific to your issue.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb42221/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Please try one of the fixed releases and see if there is any positive results.

-Wes

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks like you need GLC-TE for 5600. GLC-T is not supported:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc462044450

Wes

I saw that but I am confused because 5600 datasheet does list the GLC-T as supported.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/datasheet-c78-730760.html

Double checking, GLC-T should work for 5600.

Try to hard code the speed on the interface to 1000 MB

speed 1000

If this does not work:

See if this command on the interface has any impact on the link status:

'service unsupported-transceiver'

Wes

Yea I already tried both. You have to manually set the speed to otherwise you'll get 'SFP validation failed'. 

Try to disable auto-nego:

no negotiate auto

Also, are we sure this is a supported Cisco GLC-T?

-Wes

Yea I tried disabling negotiate auto and the link status went to 'SFP validation failed'. They say GLC-T on the outside and below is the output of the 'show interface e1/1 transceiver' command...

Ethernet1/1
transceiver is present
type is SFP-1000BASE-T
name is CISCO-METHODE
part number is GLC-T
revision is E
serial number is XXXXXXX
nominal bitrate is 1300 MBit/sec
Link length supported for copper is 100 m
cisco id is --
cisco extended id number is 4

If you have multiple GLC-T exhibiting the same behavior, I suspect it is something to do with that specific transceiver batch.

I would open a TAC case and have them send you a replacement to rule out hardware.

-Wes

Yes all of the GLC-T's exhibit the same behavior but because they all work in ports 33-48 but not 1-32 I don't see it being a GLC-T issue but rather an issue with the switches themselves. 

Researching some internal knowledge bases, we have customers using those GLC-T with those switches and no issues.

I believe this could be a GLC-T specific issue, but until you have a replacement or a TAC case to investigate the switch, it will be hard to tell.

-Wes

What code version are they running?

Earlier releases than 7.3....some are on 7.0.

7.0(1)N1(1)

Are we sure the ASA interface does 1GB ? It's not a 10/100 port is it?

What if you put 2x GLC-T in the Nexus and loop back to each other?

-Wes

Ok. I'll try that code version.

Yes I tried plugging in a 2960 and also my laptop to rule out something with the ASA.

I also tried looping them as well. Same result.

I just found this, looks pretty specific to your issue.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb42221/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Please try one of the fixed releases and see if there is any positive results.

-Wes

Good find. I suspect this is the issue although none of the "Known Fixed Releases:" (7.1.5 or 7.3.2) are available for download...the latest available for download are 7.1.4 and 7.3.1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: