Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 OR Nexus 7710 OR Nexus 9508

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We have 6509-E switches as L3 Gateway in our Data centers. We currently have couple of 5596 and N2K FEX all in L2. Now we are planning to add more N2Ks to replace some of our existing 3750-Es in DC. 

Now to replace 6509-Es I am looking at few choices that can provide L-3, VPC support , support connectivity to ASAs and F5 LTMs (these are connected to our 6509-Es), FCOE support (not critical).

The repalcement should be able to support new features as well as investment protection. Of the three choices I have listed, which one is better, and if there is any other choice available.

a. Nexus 7010

B. Nexus 7710

c. Nexus 9504 or 9508

I know that Nexus 9K support API (Cisco SDN), but have no support for Fabric Path, FCOE etc. Actually FCOE I am not too sure about as I read in 9500 architecture doc that it supports FCOE (or will support).

What do you guys think !

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not a Cisco PM, who probably should answer this question; my 2c

Don't know if you have ACI or simply the standalone N9k running NX-OS in mind.

If you don't need/want APIC, I would not go for N9k/ACI Version.

See also the newest information regarding integration of N7k..... into ACI

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/85429

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cisco-delivers-aci-vision-adds-120000751.html?.tsrc=applewf

As you said, N9K / ACI doesn't support FCoE (its on the roadmap) and definitely not native FC.

No Fabric Path, all is VXlan based.

On the other hand, VXlan (and Fabric Path) support seems to show up on the N7k family (new line card)

Walter.

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply, Walter. We have no immediate plans of running ACI or APIC on N9K, just plain NX-OS.

The thing I 'm concerned about is price and investment protection. From, what I understand N9K has much better price point (someone said cheapest in the market). We may need ACI and APIC in future, so N9K seems to me a better choice than N7700. The support for FCOE is also on the Cisco's roadmap so it may become available soon.

Having said that, I 'm not against N7K and what it can provide (features like FABRIC PATH, FCOE, OTV etc).

Do I have right assumptions?

You are absolutely right ! but

- FCoE on the 9K is probably at least one year out +-

- Be aware, that the migration from standalone to APIC might require forklift upgrade of the linecards.

40G Core/Aggregation: (50% discount assumption) Nexus 9508 w/ 108 x 40G ports - $130K