Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K and FEX 2K

swelsch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have a problem regarding Fex Ports supported server interfaces.

As shown in the Table2, the 7K only supports 75 Vlans per Fabric Extender server interface.

Does that mean, if i configure an interface as trunk to my servers on fex, i can only use 75 Vlans on that interface ?

if so, which vlans are in use, the first 75, the 76. doesn't work.

So i have to configure switchport trunk allowed vlan .... to get it up and running ??

Or is the meaning of server interfaces different from mine.

i don't find any limitations about Fex on 5K Nexus.

I hope, someone can help me.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think thats 75 vlans in total per access port on a FEX where a server is connected in trunk mode  , and switchport trunk will do but if you use more than 75 vlans per that server port on the 2k it will not allow the 76th vlan whatever the number from the standard range allowed

As a result of this, i will never attach a FEX directly to

- a Nexus 7K, because of the limitation of vlans per port

- a Nexus 9K, because dual homing ( active-active FEX ) is not supported

so the best design is Fex-5K-7K or 9K

am i right ?

Are there any known limitations in running 2 of 7K in a HSRP ( IPv4 and IPv6 ) design ?

Thanks for any reply

75 vlans on one port is still a lot , anyway unless your on the latest software you cant FEX across 2 7Ks VPC it need to be H design not like split across 5Ks but they changed it in latest software I think, 7ks were not originally design really for direct FEX 5ks were

only use a 9k if its in standalone mode not ACI , standard setup would be 7-5-2

9-9 in aci spine and leaf or standalone mode 9-9-2 or whatever really on standalone

no limitations with HSRP and you can use BFD with it in 7k