cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus - allowed vlans on fex-fabric port channels

mark.c.mowat
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a Nexus5000 configuration which includes a "switchport trunk allowed vlan" specification on the fex-fabric port-channel

interface port-channel100
  switchport mode fex-fabric
  switchport access vlan 999
  switchport trunk native vlan 998
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 201-202,400-499,600-699,...
  fex associate 100

However some FEX interface ports include allowed VLANs not included in the fex-fabric port-channel.

Can someone confirm/advise that the fex-fabric port-channel “allowed vlan” specification does NOT restrict the VLANs allowed on the FEX ports and hence that it is NOT necessary to add new VLANs to the existing fex-fabric port-channel "allowed vlan" line to make them available at the interface ports?

2 Replies 2

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mark,

You don't need to touch anything on the fex fabric ports when adding vlans on the Fex host ports.

The fex fabric links are treated as internal connections so it does not have the concept of a allowed vlan list.

Do note that It is not a supported config to have a trunk type config on the fex fabric when building it for the first time. I am assuming you must have converted a regular trunk to a fex fabric at some point of time and probably did not remove the existing configs.

My experience tells me that there will not be any issue when you add the vlans. I would give it a try.

-Raj

Thanks for the confirmation Raj. This seems to be a "one-off" config at one site for this client, a legacy from an unknown past history. Thanks for the advice that the commands are unsupported on a new fex fabric. I'll take those commands out in a subsequent change.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: