cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-OS debug to syslog

homelabnoob
Level 1
Level 1

My Google-fu seems to be weak because I cannot find a way to send debug output on console or term mon to syslog. Any chance someone could point me in the right direction? I’d really appreciate it!

Sorry - I picked the wrong place for this.

22 Replies 22

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Just to be sure, you want to send debug messages to your syslog server?

Have you configured the following command:

logging server x.x.x.x 7 —> Where 7 is the severity level

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Yes, you are correct. I want what I see on the screen (console or term mon) to send to syslog server when I issue any debug command. For example, I want debug ip packet detail output to show up on syslog server.

Yes, I've configured that as well but no luck. Below is the configuration that I have currently. What shows up on "show logging log" does show up in syslog server so I know that my configuration works now.

N3548# sh run | i logging
logging logfile message 7
logging server x.x.x.x 7 use-vrf default
logging source-interface Ethernet1/10
logging monitor 7
logging level local0 7
logging level local1 7
logging level local2 7
logging level local3 7
logging level local4 7
logging level local5 7
logging level local6 7
logging level local7 7
no logging console

I see you’ve configured a logfile. Can you verify is this file has your debugging logs? Also, does your syslog receives some logs (any logs not specifically debugs). This is just to be sure everything is ok in terms of Local. Default Local is local7 if you don’t add the local parameters at the end of the logging server command.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Everything works. What I see on the show logging log (default is messages) shows up on syslog server. I do not have any problems with local logging showing up on the syslog server. What I have problem is the debug output to syslog. On IOS, it seems to be the right command is logging trap 7. However, I do not see any mention on NX-OS about this command.

Can you remove the logfile? and see if everything is going back to syslog?
When I meant local I was asking to check on the file your logging to using logfile command to see if debugs were in there.
I can't do a test right now as I don't have access to any Nexus at the moment

Thanks
Francesco

If I do a no logging logfile message 7, I get a "Logging disabled" message when I issue "show logging log". I don't think the problem is the local logging. What I think the problem is, I don't have the right command that enables the debug output to be sent to the syslog. From what I could tell, NX-OS doesn't have "logging trap 7" which in IOS should send debug output to syslog. I haven't tested it though.

Ok, Let me test it and come back to you

Thanks
Francesco

Any luck with your testing?

No test done yet. I was waiting to get the nexus available. I'll get it over the WE. Next week I'll be able to do a test and keep you posted

Thanks
Francesco

What type of syslog software do you have?
Can you run a tcpdump on server side and share it please (filter only with your Nexus IP)

Thanks
Francesco

I use syslog-ng. As mentioned before, I don't have problems with syslog. What I see when I issue "show logging log", I see it on syslog-ng. Running tcpdump won't matter because the syslog-ng is getting logs from Nexus. The only issue is the debug output (ANY debug command I issue) doesn't show up in syslog-ng but shows up on the console or terminal (issuing term mon).

Ok then I'll need to wait to get a Nexus available.
I'll tested with nxos on virl using syslog-ng and don't see anything from debug messages.
However, when running tcpdump, i see some traceback messages. Maybe due to virtual environment.

Thanks
Francesco

Were you able to test yet on a real device? I created another syslog-ng instance and same thing. I see syslogs just fine, but no debug output messages being sent to my syslog-ng server. I don't see an equivalent to "logging trap 7" on NX-OS. Supposedly, that's the right command to send debug output messages to syslog when using IOS. Haven't tried that yet, though.

Yes I configured it and same issue.
I need to see why but didn't had time yet to validate.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: