cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rebooted esxi host with 1000v will not power on

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I rebooted my esxi host with the 1000v on it. after the host came back up, the vm did not power on and now I cannot access the host. when i try to power on the vm on the host via kvm. It fails to power on.

any idea on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

What error message do you get when trying to power on the VSM?

Have you tried connecting to the host directly with the VI Client?

You may need to do a vSwitch Networking recovery from the console of the ESX host.  Sounds like it wasn't setup correctly initially.  Once restored to the standard vSwitch, you can re-migrate it back to the DVS.

**When posting quesitons, please mark them as answered one they are.  You have quite a few quesitons posted, with no answers assigned.  This helps us with tracking answered vs. unanswered questions.

Thanks,

Robert

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tony,

What error message do you get when trying to power on the VSM?

Have you tried connecting to the host directly with the VI Client?

You may need to do a vSwitch Networking recovery from the console of the ESX host.  Sounds like it wasn't setup correctly initially.  Once restored to the standard vSwitch, you can re-migrate it back to the DVS.

**When posting quesitons, please mark them as answered one they are.  You have quite a few quesitons posted, with no answers assigned.  This helps us with tracking answered vs. unanswered questions.

Thanks,

Robert

RObert

The switch actually came up. But I was trying to start it manually (not knowing that it would start up auto on a host reboot) from the console but failed because it was already started.

thanks

another question kind of off this topic. For the L3 config on a 1000v, can control and packet vlan be on the same vlan and mgmt on another or is it recommended they all be on their own vlan?

thanks

When in L3 mode, the Control & Packet VLANs defined in the SVS Domain (show svs domain) aren't used.  In L3 mode, the "control" vlan becomes either your Mgmt0 or Control0 interface/subnet.

When in L2 mode, yes the Control & Packet can be the same VLAN.  This is very common practice among customers.  VLANs are not always easily allocated, so we fully support sharing a VLAN for control & packet traffic.

Regards,

Robert

Is this the wrong setup for L3? I have control/packet/mgmt on 3 different vlans. even though my control0 is on vlan60. should i disable or remove the packet and mgmt vlans on the 1000v vm?

L3?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: