Views
Helpful
Replies

snasw problem after HOST IBM IPL

rrsstefano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would Know if anyone have suggestion about this problem happened some days ago :

The topology is :

HOST <---> snasw/dlsw routers <-----> branch offices

router with

dlsw

just after an ipl procedure, was encountered a problem on a small set of pu 2.0 resources.

On snasw routers these PU were in active state while on VTAM were in POLUIO state.

By investigations made from the VTAM point of view, seems that the VTAM send NSPE messages to inform that the services requested by PUs was not available and then it didn't receive a positive response (+RSP) from router.

In other words, is it possible that the router informed the downstream that the resource were available because it didn't receive this NSPE messages or didn't understand it???

Could someone give me suggestion??

Thanks a lot

5 Replies 5

htranphu
Level 1
Level 1

SNASw does not interpret/intercept NSPE request/response, but only forwards them.

The PU active status on the router means that there has been successful exchange of ActPu Request/Response between the host and the downstream device. If subsequently the host is sending NSPE, it will be up to the downstream device to respond. Could you clear up the situation by restarting the downstream link?

If you can make the host send out NSPE request again, you can turn on and capture the SNASw dlctrace which will show the traffic flow.

Regards,

tran

Tran,

thanks for the clear explanation.It is a good startpoint for me.

Then the NSPE must be managed by the downstream device... for now I have no response from Vtam technicians on which operation was made on the VTAM side to give back an operational state...

But is right that the VTAM send only one NSPE messages and not repeat it??

Thanks

I can't really speak for VTAM.

I would think though that inact/act the PU/LU or restarting the downstream link may help.

tran

Hi Riva,

NSPE is sent only once by the SSCP VTAM to back out of an INIT-SELF or TERM-SELF for which it already sent a positive response to the downstream device. Most often it is the search for the Primary LU which encounters a problem (LU not found, or found but not available) causing the NSPE request. It would take a dlctrace in the snaswitch router at the time the NSPE was sent to verify that the downstream device never sent a response, but Tran is correct that snaswitch does no special processing for NSPE (it doesn't even know what it is).

To recover the LU they should first attempt V NET,INACT,ID=luname,I and then if it doesn't recover I would try V NET,INACT,ID=luname,F. It is possible that if the device didn't respond to the NSPE it may not respond to the DACTLU as well, so it may have to be manually reset.

Taking a step back, I am curious how you determined that the SSCP did indeed send NSPE? There is a known issue with VTAM where it neglects to send NOTIFY or NSPE ... see OA07717 to see if this applies to your environment.

- Ray

Hi Ray,

thanks a lot for the informations.I forwarded your question to the the Vtam guys....they are looking for...

Thanks

Stefano