Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS ESXi vmotion behaviour

dganta
Level 1
Level 1

HI Team,

We are experience an issue in our ucsm environment. We see that we are able to ping the packets of the vnics which belong to the same fabric but packets get dropped when we try to reach from Fabric A  vnic to Fabric B vnic. For example when we do a vmotion using the Fabric A vnic is successful, when we do a vmotion between the Fabric B vnics  however the vmotion will give a error when we try to vmotion from vmnic A in one host to vmnic B in other host. 

I am trying to understand what the problem can be as packets are able to reach only between the vnics belonging to the same Fabric but it is not reaching for the vnic belonging to a different Fabric. Has anyone experienced this kind of issue. One think I have done is Initially only Fabric A was configured for internal port-channel I did now configure the Fabric B also for port-channel after configuring I had acknowledge the IOM module and al the ports are up only for the above proble. Do you them I need to acknowledge the chassis as well. Will that fix my problem. Did anyone experience this issue before.

Also want to know what would be the downtime if I reacknowledge the chassis

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If your communication is from vnic connected to Fabric A to a vnic connected to Fabric B, both in the same vlan (layer L2), traffic has to exit UCS domain going Northbound, and then reenter UCS domain switching to Fabric B.

If initiator and target are on the same Fabric and vlan, the Fabric interconnect can switch the frame; no need to go outside of the UCS domain.

Hi Walter,

The issue was found to be a bug with the 3rd Generation FI (6332). The issue got fixed once we upgraded the FI's to 3.1(1h). Here are the bug details:

Defect ID:  CSCuz46574

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuz46574

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card