cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC between switches

abbasali5
Level 1
Level 1

I know the following configuration is doable, but would like to confirm the version of the NX-OS.

I have two core Nexus 9300 switches ( A & B), and two Nexus server 9300 switches ( A & B).  I will be configuring dual links from each server switch ( A & B) such as server switch(A) will be connecting to each core switch(A & B in vPC), and server switch(B) will be connecting to each core switch (A&B in vPC), and vice versa.  

Is there any software version limitation to configure the above?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nexus 9300 are latest, so it should be latest Code of nexus 7.X  and above (now latest is 9.X as i looked at upgrade)

you can deploy enhanced vPC between 2 vPC domain, so you can connect dual Home to your Server requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nexus 9300 are latest, so it should be latest Code of nexus 7.X  and above (now latest is 9.X as i looked at upgrade)

you can deploy enhanced vPC between 2 vPC domain, so you can connect dual Home to your Server requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @abbasali5 

From perspective of running software version, there is no limitation. This back-to-back vpc deployment is supported on all Nexus switches.

However, one important thing you have to keep in mind is that you must run the same version on the vpc peers (same version on Switch A&B).

You can check the current recommended release for Nexus 9000 here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/recommended_release/b_Minimum_and_Recommended_Cisco_NX-OS_Releases_for_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_Switches.html

You will see that the current long lived release is 9.3.X, and the recommended release (recommendation based on general customer experience) is 9.3.(7).

My suggestion would be to go over the release notes for the respective version and check if there are any potential software bugs (sections open issues and known issues) which can affect your network/devices, based on the features you plan to use.

If you see any show stoppers move to a different version (preferably newer) and check again for open software defects.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card