arjunselvi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi We have a DC setup with 7k 5k.

N7k1 - N7k2 with vpc (7010 model )

N7K1 is primary.

peerlink from Module 7 & 8

KAL is from 4

We enabled Peerswitch,Peer-Gateway,Auto recovery.We didn't enable Object tracking. Could you take this design and pls suggest me should I enable Object tracking to avoid module failiure scenario in N7K1?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

As you have resilient 10GE I/O modules in each Nexus 7000, and the vPC peer link is built using ports from those modules, then you shouldn't really need vPC object tracking. Whilst the peer keepalive link is only using a single module, in the event this failed the vPC peer link using module 7 & 8 would still be operational.

There's a good example of when to use vPC object tracking at vPC and Single 10GE Modules: What You Should Know, but from what you describe I don't see any such single point of failure that would required object tracking.

Regards

View solution in original post

Hi,

In the scenario you describe, then yes vPC object tracking would help, but you're now trying to consider multiple simultaneous failures and design to accommodate. You need to consider the likelihood and risk of such failures. This is always difficult and sometimes the design / configuration to mitigate those scenarios imposes a greater risk than the dual failure scenarios you're trying to consider and protect against.

For example, suppose we've now configured vPC object tracking to cover the scenario you highlight. But now we have a different dual failure, that being a failure of module 7 in N7K-1 and module 8 in N7k-2. You'd still lose the vPC peer link, but now both Nexus 7000 would identically decrement their tracked priorities, and the object tracking would have no effect. In this case I assume the "status quo" would prevail and the operational secondary would disable its vPC member ports, and so result in an outage.

If there's an obvious dual failure you can easily protect against, then I believe it worth doing so. Equally I think it an almost impossible task to consider and design against every dual failure scenario and becomes a case of diminishing returns.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

As you have resilient 10GE I/O modules in each Nexus 7000, and the vPC peer link is built using ports from those modules, then you shouldn't really need vPC object tracking. Whilst the peer keepalive link is only using a single module, in the event this failed the vPC peer link using module 7 & 8 would still be operational.

There's a good example of when to use vPC object tracking at vPC and Single 10GE Modules: What You Should Know, but from what you describe I don't see any such single point of failure that would required object tracking.

Regards

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for quick reply.

But

what if my 7,8 ,9 th models are fails due to power or some problems. Still my PKAL link is active ,bcos my 4 th module is active. So N7K2 auto recovory feature will not  kick in. N7K2 will shout down all member ports and peer link. So OUTAGE!!!

Hi,

In the scenario you describe, then yes vPC object tracking would help, but you're now trying to consider multiple simultaneous failures and design to accommodate. You need to consider the likelihood and risk of such failures. This is always difficult and sometimes the design / configuration to mitigate those scenarios imposes a greater risk than the dual failure scenarios you're trying to consider and protect against.

For example, suppose we've now configured vPC object tracking to cover the scenario you highlight. But now we have a different dual failure, that being a failure of module 7 in N7K-1 and module 8 in N7k-2. You'd still lose the vPC peer link, but now both Nexus 7000 would identically decrement their tracked priorities, and the object tracking would have no effect. In this case I assume the "status quo" would prevail and the operational secondary would disable its vPC member ports, and so result in an outage.

If there's an obvious dual failure you can easily protect against, then I believe it worth doing so. Equally I think it an almost impossible task to consider and design against every dual failure scenario and becomes a case of diminishing returns.

Regards

I understood your key points here and thanks for your time in explaining the same.