Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the RV180W support DHCPv6-PD?

Hopefully a simple question.  Comcast has indicated that this is required for IPv6 to work, and since it means gatting a /64 address space for my network I am understandably eager to tak advantage of this new functionality when it is available in my area.

Thanks,

Robert Hessenauer                  

50 Replies 50

This is the correct number.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom,

I do not have the ability to "see" this bug.  I think I need to have my access level raised (if only for this bug) so I can follow along.  It is good to seee that Comcast Tuska is now also involved, as he seems to be the point man on Comcast's IPv6 implementation - he can provide valuable insight from the headend that I cannot.

Thanks,

Robert Hessenauer

Robert, if it is any consolation I can't follow it myself since I changed jobs. But, last I knew, the Comcast group did work with Cisco L2 and identified some issues with the RV0XX routers which support the DHCPV6-PD.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom,

At least that is a start.  Any word on whether these issues are to be addressed in a firmware update for those and the RV180W?

Just curious,

Robert Hessenauer

Last I heard, no, not in regards to the RV180 models. I wouldn't be surprised to see it crop up on the roadmap when IPV6 is more widely deployed if it is viewed as a necessary step. I think IPV6 transitions will rely on NAT-PT for quite a long time. Although I think the feature would be nice it may not be a prudent move to enforce a mandatory use of the IPV6-PD as the CPE will suffer tremendously and could result in an interesting situation... When IPV6 is fully realized, time will tell.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

Tom,

Disappointing when your consumer products actually have the DHCP-PD option available out of the box.  As always, time will tell if this can be ported over to the SB Series.

One question I do have is whether I should (using Comcast and DHCP) configure for stateful or steteless autoconfiguration on the WAN side?

Any thoughts?

Robert Hessenauer

Robert,

I have one of these in the office, let me take a look at it again.  I know Cisco is looking into the issue they recreated in their lab.  I think I may have a work around to get you up and running, just give me a day or two.

ComcastTuska
Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
IPv6 Project

ComcastTuska Senior Network Engineer, Comcast IPv6 Project

Comcast,

Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.  I figured that if I could get Cisco and Comcast talking there might finally be some proper movement on this issue since Comcast IS one of the largest and best rated ISPs in the country.

Thanks and I shall await your reply,

Robert Hessenauer

Tuska,

Any lick with that workaround for the DHCPv6-PD problem we are discussing here with the RV180?

Also trying to find out if the point is moot since my area myay not be up

Modem Ethernet MAC 00-23-ED-FC-8A-22

CPE MAC C4:64:13:0C:16:23

Living in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

Any advice?

Thanks,

Robert Hessenauer

Cisco has fixed the code on RV042G, I am talking to them about the RV180W as well.  But no update on my side of the fence.

ComcastTuska
Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
IPv6 Project

ComcastTuska Senior Network Engineer, Comcast IPv6 Project

I sent you info over Private Message.  Count me in.

Robert Hessenauer

I PM'd as well  Count me in too please.

richard Greenall

Does the newest firmware update resolve the DHCPv^-PD problem? I noticed that there is an option for DHCP in the IPv^ WAN configuration, and would like to know if I should set to stateless or statefull and whether this resolves the problem.

Please advise

Bob Hessenauer

Hello Robert,

DHCP PD is not supported on the RV180 platform at the moment. Our product team is evaluating the feasibility of implementing this feature in one of the future firmware releases.

Thanks,

Nagaraja

Which would be the Cisco SMB product closest to the RV180 that actually can use DHCPv6-PD? I've read the whole thread and it looks like RV042G does, but I'd like to be certain before proceeding any further. Thanks.