cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

low cost router with DHCP option 66

Sage Major
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find the lowest cost Cisco router with option 66.  I use the router in conjunction with spa50x phones and need to be able to have them config at boot up.

I was using the srp521.  It was suggested to use the isa550, but that just got an EOL.  Do any of the RV routers support it, I did not find it on a rv110 and I know its not on the rv042.  It seems to me that this is a functionality that should be on a router aimed at a small business.

Sage

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Lisk
Level 1
Level 1

Sage

I was also looking for a replacement for the SRP521.  I found this in the Admin Guide for the RV180:

You might also try the RV emulators here, https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/onlinedemos.

Stephen

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Sage,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

Unfortunately none of the Small Business routers were intended to provide DHCP option 66 for IP Phones configuration via TFTF server. I suggest you to look for a enterprise device for that matter, like an ASA for example, and you can also inquire about a low cost option from their community support forum.

My job role in Cisco, among several, is to identify business opportunities and product enhancements for the Small Business products so I am definitely going to suggest this option 66 feature for future firmware releases.

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is anything I may assist you with in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Sage,

I apologize for the discrepancy between my previous email and this one.  I was checking on a RV320, and I found DHCP option 66, please check on the below link for its emulator;

https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/RV320/default.htm

I am sorry I did not noticed it before and again, please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Stephen Lisk
Level 1
Level 1

Sage

I was also looking for a replacement for the SRP521.  I found this in the Admin Guide for the RV180:

You might also try the RV emulators here, https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/onlinedemos.

Stephen

Check out what step 4 says on page 38

STEP 4 Click Save. You must then specify the MAC address of the clients that will be

downloading files and the filename of the configuration file they need to

download.

This does not look like its a good replacement.  Have you actually tried this or are you just looking at the docs?

Just trolling the docs looking for routers that have Option 66 before ordering some to try.

Step 4 does looks to be superfluous as it seems to replicate a component function of the tftp server. A question for our Cisco rep to explain.