cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W and Remote Application

kevin
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased and installed a RV220W router.  I bought it specifically for the VPN capability.  After successfully setting up the QuickVPN and connecting, I am confused about how to setup the router (if possible) so I can run applications remotely.  Is this possible with the RV220W and if so, is there documentation to guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kevin, I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're connected with the VPN then you are done with the router configuration. I am assuming you are running an application on the remote computer to access a resource behind the RV220W?

Most problems with accessing things are firewall related (computer firewall, computer security software, etc).

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for your reply, Tom.  Essentially what I want to do is to operate a "remote desktop" from out of the office.  That is, I want to be able to run my desktop applications and access data on that desktop from home.  The administration guide for the router seems to suggest this is possible.  However, once the manual gets you connected, it is rather vague about how to actually run the applications remotely.  Perhaps there is better information elsewhere but I've scoured Google and cannot seem to come up with an answer.  The manual, on page 108, says "after connecting to the VPN portal, navigate to the VPN tunnel page and launch the SSL VPN Tunnel client installer/launcher."  I'm not a network professional (as if you couldn't tell!) but I'm fairly good at technology ... but that instruction baffles me.  I have no idea where I would find the "SSL VPN Tunnel client installer/launcher".

Kevin

If you want to use remote desktop, open remote desktop up on the computer at your home and type in the LAN IP address of the computer you want to RDP to.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I suspect that the RDP "server" (the home machine that he wants to conenct to) is behind the RV220W. In this case Kevin would need to use a firewall rules to open an RDP port and port forward it to the desktop machine to which he wants to connect.

David

Hi David, you are fundamentally correct. However, setting up port forwarding for a RDP session is less secure than a VPN then making a RDP connection through the VPN. It is acknowledged Kevin has a working VPN by the original post, which is great news. So it means he may have a more secure connection for RDP due to the working VPN, amongst other benefits of connecting to the RV220W's LAN.

-Tom