cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 dnsmasq: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1

andyko
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased two RV340 routers. I've been getting this warning message in the logs:

dnsmasq: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 - local interface

Is this something I should be worried about?

28 Replies 28

Yes. I must admit that Cisco TAC's service is ALWAYS prompt and efficient.
The assigned engineers also follow up the case until it is resolved. The
firmware upgrade solved my issue and the router was returned to service a
couple weeks now. This far I have had no complaints from the customer. They
are running 2 IP extensions over IPSEC VPN over thirty router so I would
expect that they would complain if calls drop out to the intermittent
internet failures that were being experienced.

Prompt?  This has been an issue for over a year, I’d say slow.

Did the firmware upgrade wipe the config?  Does the upgrade have to be done onsite?  

It really doesn’t matter how you do the fimware upgrade. I have done the upgrade in every possible way and still the problem remains the same.
I currently receive a log notification every hour.
I don’t know did it wipe the config, but when i upgraded, i made factory settings reset.

The procedure is to do the upgrade and then do a factory reset as you have
done.
This procedure worked in my case.

The firmware upgrade does not wipe the config but a factory reset must be
done which will wipe the config.

My experience is that I got an immediate response to my ticket and the
matter was resolved

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the follow-up to my questions.

I've been on the current (1.0.02.16) firmware since 01/07/19, but this still persists (although some other logging issues seem to have been fixed).  This was an "in place upgrade" though, keeping all my previous settings, DHCP assignments, IPv6 tunnel info, etc.

I haven't done a full reset for a couple of months now, because of the time required, plus the downtime.

I suppose this is the next step, unless a Cisco employee chooses to step in here, and discuss a way to flush DNS and other tables (without a full factory reset, obviously ideal).

I bet there's a way to resolve this, without a full reset (like enabling the "hidden" CLI and flushing that way, but it's not published, and I'm not too willing to get "adventurous" in this space, without some guidance).  It'd sure be nice if this could be shared with other owners of the same router(s).

When you did your reset(s), did you re-configure using a saved config, or did you rebuild everything "from scratch". 

I'm much more willing to go to "saved config" route, for obvious reasons (maybe 30 minutes of downtime, tops), given that a full rebuild via the UI is going to take the better part of a day.  

This is something I thought I'd be avoiding, mostly, using a Cisco SMB solution...

The router is pretty rock-solid, overall, it's just that if I need to use the logging, it's useless, for the most part, given this stupid error, likely due to a poorly-cached DNS entry, I bet...

You probably got lucky and just recently observed this problem and submitted a ticket but this has been an issue for over a year.

Whether it wipes the config like an earlier version did or the procedure calls for a factory reset after the upgrade is all the same to me.  It means a truck has to roll to the job in order to do the upgrade and that is sad remedy if that's the best Cisco can do. 

Were you able to reload your config file or did you have to re-config from scratch?  If you were able to reload your config file I see no reason this process can't be done completely by the firmware. 

Hmm, I've reset my RV340 now, and tried it two ways, and still have the problem.

Initially, after reset, I ran "bare bones", with only a few things manually re-configured. 

This resulted in less (about 3-4/minute) of the DNSMasq warnings, but they were still persistent.

Then, I reloaded my config, and now I'm seeing the same, about 3-4/minute, which is "better", I suppose, than the 20-30/minute I was getting prior.

Unfortunately though, it's not "fixed", by any stretch, it still fills my logs file space (all 4K) with these, essentially invalidating logging, for most uses.

This Issue revolves around IPV6 when enabled on either of the WAN ports. I will post more as I figure it out.

@sandersonkyle wrote:

This Issue revolves around IPV6 when enabled on either of the WAN ports. I will post more as I figure it out.

I have IPv6 disabled on both WAN interfaces, and still have this issue.

@PaulHammons I managed to get this down to 1-2/minute, by fine-tuning my router/switch LAG, which is "better", bu it still (mostly) negates the usefulness of the logging, unfortunately.  If the "log event" you're looking for is within 24 hours or so, you can usually find it, in my current setup(before it was more like 4-6 hours).

@sandersonkyle It's not tied to IPv6 WAN readiness/availability, or RA, I tried turning it off as well, for my VLANs (just so there'd be no internal IPv6 traffic, too).

I'm curious did you ever have much luck, tracking this down?

This is a serious annoyance, if anyone from Cisco is "tracking some of these issues here", it'd sure be great to get an assist...

I run this for my residential (dual WAN, and great other small network flexibility), so asking someone in that position (without a paid support relationship) to just "file a ticket" with Cisco isn't so handy. I hate these "re-directs" in the forum, too, because that's almost always the last post you see about it, someone probably talked with a support engineer, and then no one reports the solution (negating the whole point of the forums, mostly).

i agree this is around ipv6. from initial setup of the router, i have had ipv6 disabled. i was testing something and enabled ipv6 and suddenly i was flooded with these messages, one every 30 seconds. disabling ipv6 stopped the messages immediately. i dont know why enabling ipv6 would do this, cisco should look at this. the configuration i changed was enabling/disabling ipv6 in WAN > WAN Settings > WAN1 and WAN2.

just a hunch, and i could definitely be wrong here, but i think this may have something to do with the router's hostname and ipv6. (System Configuration > System > Host Name) i believe this was set as the router model number factory default? or maybe it was blank? but i have overwritten that since, and i do not want to do a factory reset to get it back to its default hostname, but i think it may be something related to this.

This might help but might not.  Didn’t really spend time analyzing the info.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=98608

Disabled IP6 on WAN for RV260 and warning messages stopped immediately.

Didn't noticed this on other RV260 that I support since we usually turn off IPV6 on WAN and just this device we forgot.  Clearly, the RV line has an issue with IPV6 support and it's something Cisco should take a look at.

It would be great if the RV product line had CLI access, but I am pretty sure they use a different code base than the Enterprise product line so might not be possible.