cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[RV340] How to assign MAC addresses to specific VLANs?

stroper
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there!

I am new to networking world and started exploration recently with RV340 series as my home router with dual WAN connections (two ISPs). I have connected an access point (AP) to the RV340 for wireless coverage.

I would like to have certain smart devices such as Alexa, Smart TV, etc., to connect to VLAN2 on RV340 (with address range starts at 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.149 and DHCP enabled)

1. Would it be possible to assign specific set of MAC addresses to VLAN2 with static IP addresses?
  2. Would it be possible to assign different DNS servers (let's say pi-hole or Ad Guard, etc.) to VLAN2?

Any further help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

That all is doable with the RV34x series.

1. You can bind a MAC address to an IP address with the Static DHCP option (LAN->Static DHCP). Respectively the IP address should be from your VLAN2 IP range.

2. Yes. When creating the VLAN2 you will need to enable the DHCP server and there choose the DNS server for that VLAN. It can be DNS Proxy,  DNS from your ISP and Static DNS1/DNS2. (LAN ->VLAN Settings->Create VLAN)

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

1. Would it be possible to assign specific set of MAC addresses to VLAN2 with static IP addresses?
  2. Would it be possible to assign different DNS servers (let's say pi-hole or Ad Guard, etc.) to VLAN2

It's a bit of wrong-terminology and or it isn't done that way, you assign a port to a vlan , where then a connected host can use static ip or dhcp. DNS servers can be set on the  host or provided by dhcp (too). It is not related to  a particular vlan, different hosts on a vlan can use different dhcp-servers (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

all dns dhcp happens on vlan1 to have vlan 2 access it u must go to port u given to vlan 2 go swich port access vlan 1

this will map vlan 2 to vlan 1 and alow trafic to pass  also u use pach cable to take from port given to vlan 2 and jump to port vlan 1

eather way ports are map togather, other why this process is not adviseable as all dns  trafic would stop on vlan 1 and that meens all internet everything on vlan 1 no longer work, so this is not adviseable to do

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Small correction :         >...different hosts on a vlan can use different dns servers (too)

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

That all is doable with the RV34x series.

1. You can bind a MAC address to an IP address with the Static DHCP option (LAN->Static DHCP). Respectively the IP address should be from your VLAN2 IP range.

2. Yes. When creating the VLAN2 you will need to enable the DHCP server and there choose the DNS server for that VLAN. It can be DNS Proxy,  DNS from your ISP and Static DNS1/DNS2. (LAN ->VLAN Settings->Create VLAN)

Thanks