cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

I am installing a new network infrastructure and the desire is for it to be as resilient as possible.  Here is the equipment I have available to me.

• 2xSG300-20
  • 3x2950-24
  • 1xPIX 515e (running 8.3 software)

There are no routing protocols on the SG300's, only the ability to turn on routing to use static routes.It's a small network with a few virtual servers, a few physical servers, and shared storage on iSCSI.  There are about 70 users.

There are three VLANS

• VLAN 10 - 10.1.0.0/16   - Data (servers, Users, Printers)
  • VLAN 30 - 10.10.30.0/24 - iSCSI (NAS Storage)
  • VLAN 99 - 10.10.99.0/24 - Management

I want to use the two SG300-20's as a collapsed Core.  The servers will plug in directly to the SG300's on VLAN 10 ports.  The NAS and iSCSI NICs will plug in directly to the SG300's on VLAN 30 ports.  Several old 2950 switches will be connected to the SG300's on VLAN 10 ports to be used for end user devices and printers, etc.

Each server has 4 NICs in them,

Two NICs are VLAN 10, one to each of the SG300 switches

Two NICS are VLAN 30, one to each of the SG300 switches

Here are my Questions:

1. Do I turn on routing on one or both of the SG300's?
  2. Should the SG300's have a direct connection to eachother, and if so, is that a Layer 2 or 3 connection?
  3. Should the 2950's have a direction connection to eachother?
  4. Should the NICs on the servers be teamed or stand-alone?
  5. Any advice on Spanning Tree or BPDU guard?

Thanks for your assistance on this.  I understand the non-resilient configuration, but can't figure out how to design the redundancy.  I've spent the last day and a half looking for design/configuration guides for small business resiliancy but haven't found anything.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: