Views
Helpful
Replies

Can SG200-08 Switch Work With Dell PowerConnect 2716

BobCochran1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have no previous Cisco switch experience. I just received a brand new SG200-08 switch. It replaces a small blue Trendnet 5 port switch. I configured the SG200-08 with a static IP address which is on the same subnet as all our wired devices, then I installed it and connected a computer and printer and another switch to it. The other switch is a Dell PowerConnect 2716. I suddenly have no network connectivity with the router any longer. When I plug the network cable that runs from the PowerConnect 2716 into the SG200-08, the link status light will not go on for that port.

I am going to be replacing the Dell PowerConnect with a Cisco switch as well, the SG300-10.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Bob Cochran

6 Replies 6

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Bob,

Please make sure the SG200 switch is running latest firmware - factory reset after this upgrade and let us know if you're still having same problem. This should fix your problem. (Latest is 1.0.2.0)

Jasbryan

Hi Jasbryan,

I applied firmware 1.0.2.0. I reset the SG200-08 to factory defaults. I verified that the firmware version is listed in the System Settings summary page. Unfortunately my problem continues. Specifically, I cannot connect the device to a Dell PowerConnect 2716 switch. This is true even if I connect port 1 of the SG200-08 to port 1 of the PowerConnect 2716, using straight-through cable.

The SG200-08 connects correctly if I connect port 1 of the device to any port on my Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F router supplied by Verizon; it is an "FiOS" router.

Before seeing your post this afternoon (Eastern Standard Time), I upgraded the firmware last night from 1.0.1.0 to 1.0.0.16 since the link for the download page automatically pointed me to that firmware version. Then upon reading your post, I upgraded to 1.0.2.0.

After upgrading the firmware to 1.0.2.0, I attempted to do some basic configuration prior to testing whether it can connect to the PowerEdge router from the office where the SG200-08 will be installed. I notice that when I tried to log in, I couldn't do so with the default device IP of 192.168.1.254. Instead, the device IP setting that it previously had, 192.168.1.225, was sticky. I could log in through that IP. I changed the password for the cisco user. This was successful. I saved the configuration. This was successful. Then I wanted to change the device IP to a static IP. The device obtained it's 192.168.1.225 IP through DHCP. But this was the former static IP address I had set under earlier firmware versions. When I attempted to set 192.168.1.225 as a static IP, by clicking the radio button for "static" on the IP configuration web page, I got the following error:

unknown error code NLS_customer_ErrCodes_Err6to64Error

The SG200-08 has boot version D.8.3.1. The VID/PID is SLM2008T V01.

One last thing. In the Quick Start Guide for this switch, on page 4, under "2 Connecting Network Devices", the procedure advises connecting every network device to the SG200-08 in Steps 1-2. Is it important to have all the desired network devices connected to the switch before doing actual configuration of the switch as described on the next page, "3 Configuring the Cisco Small Business Smart Switch"? What I had done was to first attempt basic configuration of the switch with my computer connected to it as the only device. Then later I had my computer and my Actiontec router connected to it. Perhaps I should have done switch configuration only after connecting all the intended target devices?

What do I do now? I have the original packaging materials, and I am happy to send the switch back for replacement if software changes won't fix it.

Thanks

Bob

Message was edited by: Robert Cochran to apply bold formatting to the Err6to64Error message and later to add a paragraph asking whether network devices must be connected to the switch before doing actual switch configuration.

I spent last night studying Dell PowerConnect documentation. I have been running the Dell in unmanaged mode, which is the factory default. The SG200-08 is in managed mode. Perhaps the Dell has to be in managed mode for the SG200-08 to recognize it?

Bob

Hello Bob,

When connected to the Dell switch, are you getting any link lights? Have you tried manually setting the port speed and duplex in the SG200? Please try this and let me know. As always, we can be reach by phone for support.

Hi Robert,

With the SG200 connected to the Dell and the Dell in unmanaged mode, no there are no link lights.

I will try setting port speed and duplex later today and will report back.

I'm  very disappointed that this connection does not work out of the box.  I'm surprised that Cisco has not considered my use case in the design of  the SG200 and also when writing the product documentation. It might be  quite common for someone to do what I want to do, use this device as a  near drop-in replacement that "just works" with a variety of other  switches (managed or not and Cisco or not.)

I also have an SG300-10 managed switch that I have not set up yet. It is meant to replace the Dell.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Robert,

How do I open a support incident for this switch on the web? Since I am deaf, I cannot easily use the phone. I have set up my other Cisco switch and it works fine out of the box -- that one is a brand new SG300-10. I tried to connect my SG200-08 (which is the problem switch for me and is also brand new) to it and the SG200-08 still does not recognize another switch. I am increasingly convinced that the SG200-08 is defective and should be returned for replacement.

I bought the switch through newegg.com, should I return it to them, or open a support incident and request replacement?

Thanks

Bob Cochran

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X