cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trying to create guest network on wap321 and sg200-50p using VLAN

keenlogic
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG200-50P and a WAP321. I am trying to create a guest wireless network using a separate VLAN on the WAP321. I have the production traffic on VLAN 1 and the guest network is on VLAN 100.

The WAP321 is plugged in to port 7 on the switch. It is configured as follows:

Trunk Port, 1UP, 100T, Ingress filter enabled

The DHCP server is on port 22 and is configured as follows:

Trunk Port, 1UP, 100T, Ingress filter enabled

The production wireless client is able to work fine on VLAN 1.

When I try to connect a device using the Guest network, the DHCP request does not appear to ever make it to the DHCP server. If I separate the Production network off of VLAN 1 and change the Untagged VLAN ID to a different VLAN than 1 (Management VLAN ID), the same thing happens to the client when it tries to get an IP address from DHCP.

What am I missing here?

6 Replies 6

vishal vyas
Level 1
Level 1

You need to create vlan 100 on your SG switch. you aslo need to configure layer-3 ip address for vlan 100 same as vlan 1 but in differnt subnet.

Thanks for the reply. Can I do that with the equipment mentioned, or will it require an additional piece of equipment? I know that the SG200 is only a Layer 2 device.

I think you can configure managment vlan and other 4 vlans on wap321 for layer-3 prospective and on SG200 you can configure same layer2 vlans which you are planing to use on wap321

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/wap321-wireless-n-selectable-band-access-point-single-point-setup/index.html

I have the VLANs configured on the WAP321. VLAN 1 is the Mgmt and general VLAN and the VLAN is configured for the Guest network. I did a Wireshark trace and for some reason the pakets for VLAN 100 (Guest network) on the WAP321 are not getting to the DHCP server. I see them on the WAP321 using the packet capture, but there is not any response to them. I do not see them coming in at the DHCP server.

When I connect to the WAP321 using the production SSID I see the same ackets at the AP and also coming in to the DHCP server. That is why I am so confused. I can't figure out why they do not get to the server. I was wondering if I have something configured wrong on the SG200, but this is new territory for me and I do not know what I am missing. I have taken some screen shots of the SG and WAP config screens in case it might help.

Try to configre port 22 as  Trunk 100UP, please remove 1UP and 100T and see if you can see any difference.

When I removed 1UP I can no longer access the production network with the machine on that port. The PVID for port 22 becomes 100 instead of 1 at that time.