Helpful
Comments
Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco RV340 Series Secure Router

Security License Features and Performance

May 2019

Today, secure networking is imperative for every business, even the smallest one. The RV340 series security routers provides business users with advanced connectivity and secure high-speed access for the growing demand and usage of digital services. The Cisco RV340 Series routers connect small businesses securely to the Internet. The routers protect employees from threats like viruses, network attacks, unwanted content and malicious websites. All that without compromising the online experience. The series consists of 4 models: RV340, RV345, RV345P, and RV340W. The models differ in number of featured switch ports, PoE and WiFi support. More info at www.cisco.com/go/rvrouters

The optional security license described here enables enhanced UTM security features. The router is fully functional without installing a license and will work with full performance and all NAT, Firewall, VPN features are turned on.

Installing the security license enables UTM security features including: Intrusion Prevention, Gateway Anti-virus, Application Identification, Client Identification and Statistics, on-board dynamic Web Security. These features protect your network from attacks from the Internet and at the same allow for setting policies for corporate usage of the Internet by limiting Internet surfing to appropriate site categories and eliminating unwanted network traffic and hence boost employee productivity and overall network performance.

The license utilizes Cisco Software Smart Licensing. See https://software.cisco.com for more info and how to create a Smart Account. With Cisco Software Smart Licensing the license is not bound to a specific serial number of a device but assigned to a user or company account

The licensed security features can be trialed at no cost for 90 days.

Ordering Information

Type

Product ID

Description

RV Security License

LS-RV34X-SEC-1YR=

Internet security package:

-Dynamic web filter
-Intrusion Prevention
-Gateway Anti Virus
-Application Visibility
-Client Identification and Statistics

Feature Description:

Web security

Dynamic web filtering: Cloud based, more than 80 categories, more than 450 million domains classified

Enables business efficiency and security while connecting to the Internet, allows Internet access policies for end devices and Internet applications to help ensure performance and security.

Application Visibility

Identify and Assign policies to Internet applications

500 unique Apps automatically identified

Client Identification 

Identify and categorize connected devices and provide detailed statistics on Internet usage

Intrusion Prevention System

IDS/IPS inspects network packets, logs and/or blocks a wide range of network attacks. It delivers increased network availability, faster remediation and comprehensive threat protection. Protocols supported HTTP/FTP/SMTP/POP3/IMAP

Antivirus

Protection from viruses, trojans, spyware and identity theft by inspecting traffic going through the router. Supported: HTTP/FTP/SMTP/POP3/IMAP

Performance:

The router uses a unique hardware acceleration engine.

Connection Rate

Concurrent Connections

HTTP Throughput

FTP Throughput

IPS & AntiVirus & App ID

4000/s

980Mbps

950Mbps

Data above with logs turned off.

Comments
Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Another great security improvement in Cisco best-in-class SMB router! Excellent operating performance and functionalities ratio.

RYN0
Level 1
Level 1

What AV engine and IPS are used in the back-end of this device with the security subscription? If it uses AMP and Snort/Sourcefire, that would be really nice.

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, it uses Lionic IPS and AV

www.lionic.com

Thx

Jo

Hi there! I've been calling and asking about the pricing of this optional security portal for the RV340W. No one has given me pricing nor a way for me to pay for it and install the license. Please help! Thanks!

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Angel,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We sell 100% through distribution so you have to either contact your local Cisco partner/reseller or optionally purchase the security license (LS-RV34X-SEC-1YR=) through e-commerce like CDW. For example, the license is available at:

https://www.cdw.com/product/cisco-rv-security-subscription-license-1-year-1-license/4556241

and

https://www.provantage.com/cisco-systems-ls-rv34x-sec-1yr~7CSC8MCA.htm 

You will need to register a Smart Account to manage and use your security license for the RV34x. Please follow below two guidances in order to register for Smart Account and then register a Smart Software License on your RV:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/cloud-and-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/smb5489-how-to-request-a-smart-account.html 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb5540-register-a-smart-software-license-on-an-rv34x-series-router.html

Regards,

Martin

EvanC75
Level 1
Level 1

With all due respect, the performance numbers listed above are not accurate.  On the RV345, with Antivirus enabled, HTTP throughput is greatly reduced to roughly 150 Mbps, and that is with logging off.  So the 980 Mbps listed is false.

Additionally, with firewall only mode, the throughput never gets above 650 Mbps.  My old router pulled over 800 Mbps testing from the same server so I know it is not my Internet connection or my computer.

If you are certain that 980 Mbps is possible, I would like an explanation on how to achieve this on my setup.

isove70954
Level 1
Level 1

Anyway will be a nice and good product for you cisco guys , but for me as a home user its the biggest "tzeapa" I got in my life 

2weeks to activate the smart account with tones of emails and diff ppl 

send emails to ask about the license that I need to activate a simple web filter , and nobody care ! 

I search with google where I can buy this license and I found some websites in US but not in EU  or in Romania where Im from 

so An expensive hardware with low specs in my opinion , with some futures disabled , with a expensive fee /year 

Want say more .... but its a crap 

marsam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jo,

This article has been helpful to at least steer me in the right direction. I do have the RV340 and have watched most of the training videos made available from Cisco. I have one issue which simply revolves around resolving my fqdn which is configured in my Rv340. I have the proper certs, the system (as far as I've tested) is configured correctly but will not resolve with the fqdn that I've configured it with. I'm using AnyConnect to connect from client to site and when I test connection, I get an "untrusted connection" confirming that its working but I want to ensure that my SSL cert uploaded to the device is trusted before the connection is made complete. I've been wrestling with this for months and trying to just get another pair of eyes on my RV340 console. Any assistance from a Cisco Engineer who knows the Rv340 would be of great assistance. I don't want to have to remove the Rv340 tool and find something else because cisco products are very reliable.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: