cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 power

bon_durant1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP371 running somewhat, only after switching from a conventional DC power supply to a POE+ injector.  Before purchase I made sure it had a DC jack (marked for 12V), and I surmised that it could run on that.  However, I got nothing but angry lights using a 12V power supply rated at 3.25A  .  (The quick-start guide mostly ignores the DC in jack, leading one to suspect that this power option never passed QC and reminding me of the infamous Intel 486SX. )  Is this a known problem?

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Sir. I am sorry that you are having this issue. This is not a known issue that I have seen.

I have not personally tested using a 12v 3.25a power supply, but I have using the recommended 12v 2a power supply and not seen any issues or angry lights. (I assume you means flashing lights)

I do plan on pulling a WAP371 from our storage and testing with various amps and will let this thread know my results.

From a troubleshooting perspective, I would like to know if you tested the power supply in question with another device or if you tried any different amps in the WAP371.

Thanks

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

I have tested a WAP371 with two different 12v 3 amp power supplies. Both powered up the unit and they functioned just fine.

I would suggest calling in and opening a ticket with one of our Engineers. Only guessing, but this could be some type of incompatibility with that brand. But that is getting out of my realm of experience.I mainly deal with the WAP itself, not the power coming to it.

Please let me know if I can assist in any way. If you open a ticket please give the responding Engineer a link to this support forum thread and then let me know the case number

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Update: I was just looking here about another problematic Cisco device, and ran across this old WAP371 issue I posted. FWIW I tried 3 different commodity power supplies as well as my lab power supply, which I turned up as high as 14V with various current limits. The unit never did work at all when powered through the conventional DC jack. As for the performance on POE, after a couple of years trying to blame poor and intermittent performance on other network components, I finally gave up on it and have been running much more smoothly on a TP-link WAP since the switch. Official Cisco support has never expressed any interest in our satisfaction with their products. Erik, thank you for trying to help. Our WAP371 is now on the electronic trash heap.