cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wet200 / wpa2 has anyone gotten it to work

derekslayton
Level 1
Level 1

has anyone else gotten wpa2 / aes to work on the wet200?

if so, please post your config

25 Replies 25

Voltron-IU wrote:

Hello, Derek:

I have the WET200 and although it took me a few attempts, in the beginning, I was able to use WPA2 and it worked for about two-and-a-half years, until several weeks ago.  I had it connected to a 2Wire 2701HG-B wireless gateway and the throughput was wonderful.  When I was initially connecting it, it was not working, as I expected it to and it would not show any connection.  Then, all of a sudden, it had made a connection, on its own, and has been working since.  Then, several weeks ago, I noticed it flashing and acting strangely.  Upon inspection, it had lost its connection with my wireless gateway and I have not been able to reconnect it to the 2Wire gateway since.  I have re-flashed the WET200, with the same and latest firmware and performed several soft and hard resets, to no avail.  Unlike before, I can see it making an attempt to connect to the 2Wire wireless gateway, as the wireless light (on the 2Wire) will briefly light, then, it goes out.  This will continue, indefinitely, until I power off the WET200.  I am desperate for Cisco/Linksys to create a new firmware, as we are far overdue for a great, stable firmware release for this unit, since it has been since August 8, 2008, since the last update.  Also, Cisco/Linksys appears to have been updating firmware for many similar devices, moving these small-business devices to a strictly Cisco-branded firmware.  I am hoping Cisco will soon do the same for the WET200, as this firmware is "flaky."  It is a shame and such a disappointment that such a device, from such a respected and reputable company would be operating in such a condition.

One more note, while I appear to be one of a small handful that has been successful (lucky) to get WPA2 to work on the WET200, I was never able to get it to accept and pass DHCP requests/traffic, properly, onto the connected, wired clients.  Once it would finally pass and allow DHCP to a connected client, things were fine.  However, once that lease ended, it would take several minutes and/or several reboots of a connected client, before the WET200 would pass DHCP information onto the client, allowing for a proper network connection.  It was so frustrating, I ended up using static IP addresses for my connected clients.

I hope this information helps you, in some way and further encourages Cisco/Linksys to update the WET200's firmware.  Thank you.

--Dylan

Dylan,

you are much more patient than i am. having been a staunch defender and supporter of Linksys in the past, their consistent product quality issues and lack of firmware updates for any of the products i purchased and used (wrt600n, wrt54gx4, wet200, wvc200, etc.) i finally have given up hope. i've spent over well North of $5k with Linksys over the last 5 years, and cannot in good faith continue to support their apathy towards the customer base needs.

i have since pulled the wet200 out of production, and replaced it with a D-Link DAP-1522 to match up with the DIR-825 AP. I have switched over to doing what i wanted (N band / WPA2), performance has increased, stability has increased, and i can now see my windows media servers which were hidden when the WET was in production.

As a general statement to Linksys/Cisco, i think we were all hoping for better results (i.e. better products and improved support) after the acquisition. If possible, i think it's actuallu gotten worse.

Stepping down from soapbox now, and returning to obscurity.

Hello, once again, Derek:

Thank you for your response.  I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences with Linksys/Cisco products.  While I have had a smaller experience with Linksys/Cisco-based products, I would have to agree with your findings and your feelings toward Linksys/Cisco.  When I was considering purchasing the WET200, I researched many products and decided to purchase the WET200, based upon Linksys/Cisco's involvement, hoping Cisco's clout in the networking industry would promulagate down to the formerly-owned Linksys-based products.  Years ago, I purchased my first D-Link-based product and had a terrible experience with it and have stayed away from their products ever since.  However, based on your findings of the contemporary D-Link products and with Linksys/Cisco's incredibly poor firmware support, it appears that I will have to reconsider D-Link or another company's product, once more.

I am curious to know and would hope you would enlighten me on a few points, regarding your environment.  What make and model of access point (AP) are you attempting to link with your WET200?  I have been using the 2Wire 2701HG-B.  When I first linked the WET200 with this AP, the AP was using firmware version 5.29.47 and although the WET200 would not forward DHCP traffic, properly, it finally connected, on its own; it was a little mysterious.  But, since that point, it stayed connected, through power cycling, power outages, etc., for approximately two years, until my service provider updated the firmware on the 2701HG-B, to version 5.29.109.5.  Since that point, the WET200 has not been able to connect.  So, I am curious to find out if this is a problem associated with the WET200 linking with the 2Wire gateway or also with other APs.  In fact, it was the realization that the WET200 had lost connectivity with the 2Wire gateway that alerted me to other issues that had occurred with my ISP.

Thanks for your information, Derek and for your willingness to climb on top of the "soapbox."  Personally, I think a company that is aware of a firmware compatibililty/deficiency issue for over a year (last WET200 update occurred around August 8, 2008) and as of January 5, 2010 has failed to remedy this deficiency in their product is unacceptable and customers/consultants/clients should go elsewhere.  It is a shame that a company the size of Cisco, with all its resources and its reputation for being an industry leader, is unable and/or unwilling to support their products.

Thank you, Derek.

Sincerely,

--Dylan

I am curious to know and would hope you would enlighten me on a few points, regarding your environment.  What make and model of access point (AP) are you attempting to link with your WET200?  I have been using the 2Wire 2701HG-B.  When I first linked the WET200 with this AP, the AP was using firmware version 5.29.47 and although the WET200 would not forward DHCP traffic, properly, it finally connected, on its own; it was a little mysterious.  But, since that point, it stayed connected, through power cycling, power outages, etc., for approximately two years, until my service provider updated the firmware on the 2701HG-B, to version 5.29.109.5.  Since that point, the WET200 has not been able to connect.  So, I am curious to find out if this is a problem associated with the WET200 linking with the 2Wire gateway or also with other APs.  In fact, it was the realization that the WET200 had lost connectivity with the 2Wire gateway that alerted me to other issues that had occurred with my ISP.

I just realized i never answered this, sorry.

Originally i was all Linksys, i had a LS wrt600n pre-n AP from them (which could literally get me started on another tangent about how poor that product was, but that's another story). i dont recall the specifics now, i had all this doucmented on the old LS forum, but like many other things, when Cisco took over that all got wiped out it would appear as i can't find it anymore.

in my case, it was LS to LS so i don't think i can help much there.

Hello, David:

What is the latest information with this issue, along with the DHCP-related issues and the WET200?  I purchased the WET200 just over one-and-a-half years ago and while using WPA2, the WET200 did not connect to my AP, at first.  Although, after a while, it did finally connect and stayed connected for over these one-and-a-half years.  Back in September of 2009, the WET200 stopped communicating with my 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway/modem/AP and has not been able to connect since.  Firmware release 1.0.13 is dated July of 2008 and I would have expected that any company's design team would have had a new firmware release addressing these known issues, especially since these issues are related to security.  Therefore, what is holding up Cisco's design team?  I am stunned that a new firmware release has not been published to address the WPA2- and DHCP-related issues that have been plaguing the WET200 since, at least, 2008.  Contacts with Cisco's TAC and PSIRT have been unsuccessful and quite disappointing.  I hope you can shed light on this and, perhaps, allow for some method of escalating this issue with the design team.

I look forward to hearing further from you; thank you.

Sincerely,

--Dylan

David replied to you at the other thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3078370

Voltron-IU
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 96sunfiregt:

Thank you for the "heads up."  I am going to post a reply to David's message over at that post.  Thank you, again!

--Dylan

JulianBond
Level 1
Level 1

I am pleased to confirm that the latest firmware 2.0.3.2 resolves my problem, allowing a WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK connection between my WET200 and Linksys WAG325N.

brettwcox
Level 1
Level 1

there was a known issue with the firmware.  Could not get WPA or WPA2  to work at all with my WAP model.  Latest firmware 2.0.3.2 fixed my problem, might fix yours.

i've long since given up on Linksys and swung my whole SOHO over to D-Link who seem to do a better job (i.e. FW patches several times / year, and a robust user community that offer support) and appear to have a higher quality product.the idea of Linksys under the Cisco umbrella sounded a lot better than the execution and end result IMHO.

thanks for the note and glad to hear that this fixed your problem.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?threadID=282680

Voltron-IU
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Derek & everyone else:

I apologize for taking so long to respond to this and other posts.  I had been so frustrated with Cisco's response to these issues.  Fortunately, I am happy to report, like others have, that the latest WET200 firmware, version 2.0.3.2, dated April 2, 2010, did, in fact, fix my WPA2-based issues.  I cannot fully confirm this for my DHCP-based issues, since I moved my connected clients to static IPs; but, needless to say, I was extremely happy to find this latest firmware release and have been quite pleased with its results.  While I cannot forget the year-plus wait time for such fixes, I am happy to see that Cisco did, finally, release this firmware update, fixing most, if not all, of these issues, with the WET200.  Thank you, too, to everyone for contributing to these discussions, which, I am certain, helped to push Cisco to address our issues and concerns.

Thanks for the update. I gave up on the WET200 long ago, sitting in it's box stuffed in a drawer. Went with TRENDnet devices.

If I get bored, might update the firmware on it.