Views
Helpful
Replies

7401 PA-FC-1G Compatibility

aretsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

A customer has two sites and needs replication between these two sites. They bought two Cisco Routers 7401ASR with PA-FC-1G for connectivity between the sites (using FCIP) - This PA has one 1G PC port!

Now, on one site they have a MDS 9120 SAN Switch, that has 1/2G FC ports (speed autosense), which I think is now problem when connecting with the 7401. That is what I read on CCO.

BUT, on the other site they have an IBM 3534F08 SAN Switch, that for what I read only has 2G FC ports (their site do not mention anything regarding 1/2G autosense), so here is my question:

Is it possible to connect the 7401 PA 1G FC port WITH the IBM SAN Switch with 2G FC ports?

Thanks for your help!

1 Reply 1

mrfrase
Level 1
Level 1

From what I can tell from web search the 3534F08 SAN switch is a Brocade 8 port switch and can run 1 Gig or 2 GiG. Without knowing more about what Broacde code runs on this IBM branded switch you may need to hard code the port speed to 1 Gig on the switch, do this on both the MDS and the IBM switch. Also get the MDS and the IBM switch first working connected back to back, you may need to run interop mode in the MDS VSAN connected to the IBM-Brocade switch. See Cisco interop settings in documentation or contact local Cisco system engineer for a switch to switch to switch interop guide. I do not know of and interop testing done at Cisco with this IBM switch with the MDS. After you get MDS working with IBM, then place PA-FC-1G into the network.