cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Nexus 5K do FCoIP ?

Dear Experts,

Following are the questions:
1- Can Nexus do FCoIP? Please explain and give some example
2- Can we easily connect traditional FC to Nexus directly on the existing Main Site and forward traffic through FCIP?
3- Will this solution work properly (from servers prospective) where we have one site is using FC and other will be on FCoE?
As per my knowledge:
"""
I think we need to configure Layer 3 interface bind with "interface fcip" e.g.
Whereas Layer 3 port is not supported by N5K .
I think I will need Brocade for FCoIP e.g. brocade 7800 or MDS9000 or Nexus 7000.
Any solution with N5K will be excellent. Please suggest
""""
Scenario will be like this:
Servers (CNA-FCoE) ----> (FCoE) N5K (FCIP) ----> Layer 3 ---- <<WAN>> ------ Layer 3 ------> (FCIP) N5K (FC) ---------> Server (HBA - FC only)
FCoE will be on the new DR site whereas FC is currently working on the Main Site.
Regards,
Anser

4 Replies 4

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no plans for the Nexus5K to support FC over IP.  Virtual Expansion (VE ports) are available today, but these require that the connections be ethernet for the entire path between the N5K ports.

Is this still the case that the Nexus 5k CAN NOT do FCoIP, and is not being supported in the future?

If this is the case, is there any alternative solutions to this problem over the WAN. We have a similar situation to Anse's initial post.

Cheers,

Rob

Dear Rob,

Nexus does not support FCIP. You may need Brocade or Cisco for FCoIP e.g. Brocade 7800 or Cisco MDS9222i is the solution.

Regards,

Anser

Thanks for the quick reply Anser !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card