cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCNM Discovery Seed address

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

When I use DCNM to discover a Nexus 5548, entering its mgmt0 address (172.16.x.190) as the seed, DCNM finds it but lists it as 1.1.1.190.  It takes a long time to discover for some reason, too.  When I open the fabric, it cannot access the switch until I change its address manually, at which point it seems to fully access the device. However, the fabric seed address is still listed as 1.1.1.190.

Any idea what's going on here?

3 Replies 3

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jeff,

To the discovery process works properly you must config the ALL parameters for authentication, ssh and snmp  in the N5K.

In your case I think the following commands are very important:

#snmp-server enable traps

#snmp-server source-interface mgmt 0

#snmp-server globalEnforcePriv

Richard

I have this problem too.

I'm adding the seed address as the vlan management address, however, after an initial dialog it then always tries to talk to the management interface - which i've set up as private vPC keepalive link (1.1.1.2 in my case).

I guess its picking this up from the FCS database, but I can't find anywhere how to change it;

nexus# sh fcs database 

FCS Local Database in VSAN: 1
------------------------------
Switch WWN               : 20:01:01:01:01:01:01:01
Switch Domain Id         : 0x67(103)
Switch Mgmt-Addresses    : snmp://1.1.1.2/eth-ip
                                                     http://1.1.1.2/eth-ip

Fabric-Name              : 20:01:01:01:01:01:01:01
Switch Logical-Name      : nexus
Switch Information List  : [Cisco Systems, Inc.*N5K-C5596UP*5.2(1)N1(7)*20:00:00:00:00:00:00:00]
Switch Ports:

Any takers?

In my case, the problem ended up being that the customer had unknowingly configured the management interface with 1.1.1.x. Since this wasn't a routable subnet on their network, DCNM just continued to use the discovery address as its point of control, but it was always called 1.1.1.x in the list.