cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Manager License?

kendo.igor
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a pair of MDS 9216. I just set them up a couple days ago. When I start the Fabric Manger, at the top it says that it will expire in 58 days. Do I need to obtain a license for it. I thought device manager and fabric manager are free.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

mrfrase
Level 1
Level 1

No you do not need to install a license, base FM is free, this is a nag message that is for the Performance Manager Feature that does require a License. We will clean up this message in the next patch release.

Same thing is happening to me and I am runnning 3.0.1.

Every few hours I get a trap telling me that the FM licence is going to expire.

Any idea on how to stop this?

Stephen

You have turned on the trial period of the Fabric Manager Server feature which requires a license. If you do a on the switch you will most likly see something like

FM_SERVER_PKG No - In use Grace 27D 16H

This is most likly turned on because you have selected to Monitor Continously the SAN. Turn off the monitoring by choosing from Fabric Manager Server/Admin and uncheck the box if checked. Then:

1. Open device manager.

2. Click on "Admin->Licenses"

3. Click on "Features" tab.

4. Click on button "Check In FM".

This button appears only when fm_server_pkg is unlicensed.

Hi Michael,

In a nutshell, is there any real benefit to obtaining a Fabric Manager Server licence? This was briefly covered in our training but I don't have any real world experience with it.

Regards

Stephen

nah... no real benfit...

Are you going to Networkers? :-)

I also have this problem. When upgrading from 2.1(1b) to 3.1.3 I also upgraded the Fabric Manager. But now I have this grace-period. And if I check in the FM license, I cannot use the Fabric Manager any more. And I haven't enabled the "Monitor continously" feature. Anyone got any ideas? Someone told me that there's different versions to choose from, one beeing free and this one not. But I only found one when downloading.