Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FCoE Multihop

Hi All,

I am pretty new on storage world and now I am working on lab for testing FCoE multihop. I have some questions that need to be clarified and some caonfiguration example that need to be corrected. I have also attached the logical topology for my lab. This is the information about my topology:

• Blue Line = ethernet
  • Red Line = FC
  • Green Line = FCoE
  • 2xN5K with NXOS v5.xx
  • 1xFI 6120 with UCSM v2.1
  • NetApp FAS2200
  • I have activated feature fcoe and npiv pn my 2xN5K

What I want to do is making 2 VSAN from NetApp (VSAN 360 and VSAN 361) and connect it with FC link to my 2xN5K as FC and then continue it downstream to my FI and UCS Blade via FCoE link. Here are some some questions that I want to ask about:

1. From what I read, we should separate FCoE traffic with ethernet traffic in this scenario, that's why I am using 2 separated FCoE links beside 2 ethernet link (on vPC configuration) from 2N5K to FI. Is it true?
  2. To enable FCoE, we have to map VLAN-VSAN, and from what I read we have to separate VLAN for this VSAN-mapping from VLAN that carries normal ethernet traffic. Is it true?
    nb: I have 2 VLANs on UCS Blade (260 and 261), and for this FCoE connectivity, I am creating 2 more VLANs (360 and 361) to be mapped to VSAN 360 and 361.
  3. This question have a connection with #2 --> From what I read, traffic from VLAN that carry FCoE traffic should not be allowed to pass the vPC Peer Link, that's why I created different VLANs so that on vPC Peer Link I can filter FCoE VLANs (VLAN 360 and 361). Is it true?
  4. For links on N5K which are connected to FI should be set to F mode, what about links that connect directly to NetApp (Interface type = FC)? On what mode is it?

I think that's it for now, I hope you guys can guide me in this storage world. I am waiting for your response. Thanks in advance.

best regards,

Yedi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Yedi,

1) Yes, you need to use dedicated uplinks for FCoE when you are using vPC between FI and N5K. If you are not using vPC ( i.e FI A <---->N5K-A == straight through mode ), then you can use unified uplinks ( FCoE + LAN ) on same physical links.

2) Yes. You will be using same VLAN-VSAN ID on FI and N5K to be part of same fabric.

3) Yes, do not allow FCoE vlans  on vPC peer links.

4) Port type of N5K connecting to FI and Netapp would be F

Please refer to following doc

Nexus 5000 FCoE with FCoE attached UCS (Multi-Hop FCoE) Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9670/products_configuration_example09186a0080c13e92.shtml

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Yedi,

1) Yes, you need to use dedicated uplinks for FCoE when you are using vPC between FI and N5K. If you are not using vPC ( i.e FI A <---->N5K-A == straight through mode ), then you can use unified uplinks ( FCoE + LAN ) on same physical links.

2) Yes. You will be using same VLAN-VSAN ID on FI and N5K to be part of same fabric.

3) Yes, do not allow FCoE vlans  on vPC peer links.

4) Port type of N5K connecting to FI and Netapp would be F

Please refer to following doc

Nexus 5000 FCoE with FCoE attached UCS (Multi-Hop FCoE) Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9670/products_configuration_example09186a0080c13e92.shtml

HTH

Padma

Hi padramas,

Thanks a lot for your confirmation, it's really help me here.

thanks.

best regards,

Yedi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: