cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to delete a zone on MDS 9513 cisco swt.

vt351j
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - can any one give me direct steps to decomm./delete a zone on mds 9513 swt as this is my first task on cisco swt.

16 Replies 16

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, normally all you need to do is to deactivate the zoneset on that vsan.

Be sure that the MDS is not attached to any other switches, or these commands could affect the entire fabric.

First determine what the zoneset names are that are active for the various vsans

Use this command

show zoneset active | inc zoneset

This will display the name of the active zoneset for each vsan.

You can then issue this command to deactivate each zoneset on the noted vsan.

config t

no zoneset active name vsan xxx

Once this is done for all vsans, you can then edit the switch configuration to remove any configuration statements that may be left over from the zoning configuration.  Once the configuration is cleaned up, issue 'copy run start' and you should be all set.

HTH,

Mike

let me know if i'm wrong here, looks like the steps which you have given me on zoneset delete no zone delete... i think both will be differ here.

i do not want to delete zoneset, i would like to delete a zone on a zoneset.

i have gone thru couple of docs and found belwo commands to delete a zone however i would like to know what will be remaining steps

after perfoming below two commands?

NOTE: i have two mds 9513 on SAN A fabric and two in SAN B [thru ISL]

step1#config t
step2#no zoneset active llp_mdsxaah2i_hba0_1971_08e0 vsan 1

step3#?

Stepx#?

Your right...for some reason when I read the initial post, I thought it read zoneset.

On the vsan you need to delete the zone, you need to know the specific name of the zone, and then remove it from the active zoneset, and then simply reactivate the zoneset.  Issue this command to be sure that the configuration contains the active zone information.

zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan xxx

Then edit the zoneset for vsan xxx to remove the zone  example follows to remove zone z425 from zoneset z100 on vsan 100.

pod4-9509-91-FCOE# sh zoneset active vsan 100
zoneset name z100 vsan 100
  zone name z425 vsan 100
  * fcid 0xd40000 [pwwn 21:00:00:c0:dd:14:54:85]
  * fcid 0x0500cb [pwwn 21:00:00:04:cf:67:d0:64]
pod4-9509-91-FCOE# config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
pod4-9509-91-FCOE(config)# zoneset name z100 vsan 100
pod4-9509-91-FCOE(config-zoneset)# no member z425
pod4-9509-91-FCOE(config-zoneset)# exit
pod4-9509-91-FCOE(config)# zoneset activate name z100 vsan 100

HTH,

Mike

so when do we use below command?

#no zoneset active zonename vsan 1

That command never existed

should be if you want to deactivate your zoneset (will cause disruptive to hosts):

switch(config)# no zoneset activate name vsan 1

correction, acutally i was talking above below steps... what below command do:?

switch(config)# no zone name test vsan 1
switch(config)#

That command will delete the zone name "test" and its member in vsan 1

Maybe you should read this rather short document, which clarifies many of your questions:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/configuration/guides/fm_4_1/fmguide/zone.pdf

eg. you don't modify the active zoneset, but the full zoneset, which you then activate.

You can have multiple full zone-sets but only one active !

.. I do not run "zone commit vsan <vsan#>" .. its like a database transaction ! commit makes any changes you did persistent. This lock feature of enhanced zoning is a safety measure, that 2 peope on different switches cannot start making changes. Without, they would overwrite each others changes upon zoneset activation.

Thanks Mr. Walter.
Once I created zones on MDS 9000 Switch and I did not run the command "zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan xxx" before making the zone changes. Fortunately all went well and changes were successful. But, did I do the right thing by not running the command "zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan xxx" ??

Also, to delete/remove a zone from the active zoneset, would you approve of the following commands I mention below (note that I do not intend to use command "zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan xxx"):

1. Remove the Zone associated with the active Zoneset:
>config t
>zoneset name <zoneset name> vsan <vsan#>
>no member <zonename>
>exit

2. Now activiate the zoneset:
>config t
>zoneset activate name <zoneset name> vsan <vsan#>
>exit

3. To confirm that the particular Zone is no more a part of the Active Zonseset:
>show zoneset active | include <zone name>

4. Finally removing the Zone from the configuration (the above command in point 2 removed the zone from active zoneset, however we now need to delete the same from database):
>no zone name <zonename> vsan <vsan#>
>exit
>copy run start
>show active zoneset

******END*****

Hi

Regarding "copy active-zoneset full-zoneset......." :

see an explanation in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/storage-networking/mds-9000-series-multilayer-switches/46202-zoning-switches.html

It is essentially related to Zone Merge issues between 2 MDS (or SAN fabrics)

When zoning information is learned from a zone merge, this learned information is not part of the running configuration. Only when the zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan X command is issued does the learned information become incorporated into the running configuration. This is key because when a zone merge is initiated by a new EISL link or activation of a zoneset, the zoneset part is ignored by the other switch and the member zone information is considered topical.

Thank you once again Mr. Walter.

Mr. Walter/All,

I want to add one NTP server IP to a CISCO MDS switch, just wanted to know if this will be disruptive in any way (any disruption to the FC traffic or any soft reboot)?

Please advise.