cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyperflex DNS Unreachable

jac717
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team. I have a Hyperflex Cluster with 12 nodes. The DNS server that we used in the implementation was migrated to the new infrastructure. After a power outage, the cluster failed to start because there was no DNS server available to resolve the host name of each node. I could solve it by restoring a DNS server backup outside the cluster.

Is it possible to change the settings from hostname to IP address?

Best regards
Jose

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Yes, you need to have at least 1 DNS and NTP server outside the HX cluster to avoid a dependency loop.

"Is it possible to change the settings from hostname to IP address?" <<< settings of what? DNS server values?

If so, just use command: stcli services dns set --dns x.x.x.x

Hopefully you can set more than one DNS server permanently, with at least one outside the cluster.

Kirk...

Great Kirk J! Thanks a lot.

When I mentioned the DNS, I was talking about to change the FQDN of every node to an IP address. My idea is not utilize an Out of box DNS, when the cluster reloads. This could be possible?

Best regards

Jose

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hyperflex requires FQDN resolution.  Are you talking about trying to to remove host names from the overall configuration?

Kirk...

Hi Kirk, I just want to try something that let me change the dependency on an external DNS, when the cluster reloads.

Best regards

Jose

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, your goal, does not meet a basic requirement.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: