Views
Helpful
Replies

in band management - how

ivybeccukbc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a dual fabric SAN spanning two locations.

All directors are MDS9513

Today we had a short outage of the LAN on the remote site.

Directors at the remote site could not be accessed via Fabric Manager or CLI.

I was in the believe that our SAN was configured with <in band> management and that the SNMP traffic then goes through the FC ISL's for remote access.

I read in the CLI fundamentals manual that <out of band> and <in band> management are setup in VSAN 1 during installation at the console prompts.

How can I check that <in band> management is properly setup?

Apparantly it does not work now and a new/proper install is required (@ next firmware upgrade - reboot)

Rgds,

Ivy

3 Replies 3

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ivy,

To verify in-band management is possible you need to check the running configuration (show running) and at least every switch should have an ip address assigned to the (virtual) interface vsan1, assuming the snmp and other settings are still correct.

An in-depth explanation of this can be found at this url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_0/configuration/guides/fund/fm/gs.html#wp642395

Best of luck,

Kris

Hello,

I did a show running | grep vsan

at a core switch

There is no information on vsan 1 having ip addresses assigned!

Rgds,

Ivy

The fabric

hershal06
Level 1
Level 1

I performed the following steps on each of our switches in our environment to have a back-end network in case of a LAN outage:

The way I've done this is create interfaces on VSAN1 on all of our switches

interface vsan 1

ip address 192.168.150.X

no shut

Then would create a default route for that network:

ip route 192.168.150.0 255.255.255.0 interface vsan 1

I'm not sure the above step was necessary because I then would turn on ip routing:

ip routing

So as long as vsan 1 in the case is merged between the switches you need to get to you should be able to telnet from one switch to another at anytime. You can also use fabric manager and see the switches using this back-end network.

Just in case:

Should probably add that 192.168.150.0 network isn't being used anywhere else in our environment.

Message was edited by: Robert Hersh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: