Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing DCNM-SAN as a VSB in Nexus 1010

emresumengen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install DCNM-SAN as a VSB in Nexus 1010, as I've read on the release notes that since 5.2.x release the distribution is done via a single image and there's an image available right now for 5.2(2)...

But, although I've tried numerous times (together with reading a lot through the two available documents - Installation and licensing guide and Fundamentals), every time I create a new vsb with these images, it becomes a DCNM-LAN install.

I have yet to have any prior experience with DCNM, so I might be missing something.

Any ideas? What am I missing? Am I trying to do something that is not supported? Or, am I just missing a critical point there?

NOTE: This is currently a lab topology, but I have a customer that's very keen on using DCNM-SAN with their MDS switches. And I feel that having this on a the 1010 as a vsb is the best way to do it, if it can be done, with regards to having network staff not deal with servers etc.

Thanks,

Emre

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Emre,

AFAIK, DCNM SAN support is yet to be available on VSB.

Tentativaly, it might be released ( 6.1 version ) by June end 

Padma

View solution in original post

Emre,

I too wasted few hours in figuring out that DCNM SAN is not available in 5.x VSB release :-)

I have submitted defect to update the docs.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCua46173

Padma

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Emre,

AFAIK, DCNM SAN support is yet to be available on VSB.

Tentativaly, it might be released ( 6.1 version ) by June end 

Padma

Hi,

Thanks for the reply... I wish it was clearer in the documentation, as I've directly assumed it's supported seeing that with version 5.2(x) the installers are combined/unified. That has cost me a week

I hope the documentation is cleared ASAP.

Again, thanks for sharing this.

Emre,

I too wasted few hours in figuring out that DCNM SAN is not available in 5.x VSB release :-)

I have submitted defect to update the docs.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCua46173

Padma

andlevin
Level 1
Level 1

We have signed off on September Maintenance release 6.1(1b). Thank you for waiting, it is worth the wait.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Andrew,

According to the 6.1 config guide

Note Cisco DCNM-SAN is not supported for VSB on Cisco Nexus 1010 or Nexus 1010-xin Cisco DCNM Release 6.x. Ensure that you do not discover SAN fabrics from the Cisco DCNM web client.

I have read through the 6.1 DCNM release notes and the 6.1b shows support for no new features (bug fixes only) Did DCNM-SAN make it into support for the VSB in 6.1(1b) which is out now, if it did, the configuration guide needs updated, and the release notes also need updated to reflect this new support.

We are finally there, both LAN and SAN components are supported.  The DCNM 6.x release now integrates both LAN and SAN into front facing WEB UI so you no longer can split SAN and LAN installations.  Both are installed by default.

Andrew,

That is great news I did my install today with that version. For customers without 1010 is there a roadmap for an OVF or ISO that will support any other hypervisors.

This is indeed very good news, thanks Andrew

I'll be trying to install it ASAP...

DCNM OVF leveraging (aka CARS appliance) is planned for 1H2013.   We are looking to launch the image with Enterprise DB bundled in rather than opensource PostgreSQL.   We will also optimize both DB and application for better performance.   We are most likely looking at CentOS rather than RedHat.  

Andrew,

We are a little frustrated with the VSB version of DCNM-SAN, it does not appear possible to manage fabric without advanced licensing for the switches, in the licensing guides for DCNM it lists essentials capability that should include port, switch, and fabric-level configuration. On the windows version we can manage the fabric unlicensed as long as we do it from the server direcly or in previous versions if we are running stand alone. These options do not appear to exist for the VSB version. Is there any plan to include any essentials capability in the VSB/OVF versions of the DCNM-SAN. If this is not planned, the documentation should be changed to state that essentials functions are only available in the Windows version.

We will adjust our documentation accordingly.  Thank you for bringing this up to our attention.  In order to use DCNM VSB, you are required to have one license per managed fabric to bring up the java client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: