Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NDMP Support on MDS 9148

Can someone provide data about the performance and/or support of NDMP traffic on the MDS 9148 switches. Are there limitations, etc?

4 Replies 4

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

NDMP is a protocol, your performance will depend on the source filer and your target (tape/VTL). We are no longer running NDMP but when we did (between Celerra NS80, 4G AUX ports on datamovers and Data Domain 880, 4G FC port), i was getting around 150MB/s for 4 concurrent NDMP streams.

@dynamoxxx

Hi Dynamoxxx,

I have an environment with tape drives (have tried with Finisar and Cisco SFPs) connecting into MDS switches (Cisco SFPs). The ports go into 'err-disable' during NDMP transfers.

Any thoughts?

I have seen the other thread where you are working on that issue. In my environment when i see these errors they are always related to physical connectivity components. I typically start out by swapping SFPs on my switch first, then i swap patch cables/patch ports and lastly i ask my vendor (EMC in this case) to give me new SFPs for the filer and for my backup target (Data Domain in my case).

@dynamoxxx

Thanks Dynamoxxx,

I will try cable change! As you can see in my earlier post, I changed the SFPs, albeit on the tape drives only!

I will give you an update on how it goes!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: