Views
Helpful
Replies

NPV or NPIV

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

When would I have to use, npv or npiv in a network ? I actually have 3 9148 devices, with only one vsan (vsan 100) configured, do I have to use nvp or npiv?

thanks.

7 Replies 7

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Are you trying things for the sake of trying ?  I assume you read the documents I pointed you to in your previous discussion threads ? There has to be a design in mind, you can't just arbitrarily enable features.

@dynamoxxx

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

3 MDS ? I just guess that you don't have the recommended fabric A and B topology ? How are the 3 interconnected ? Triangle ?

Very likely you don't have to bother about NPV / NPIV with such a small fabric ? One motivation to use NPV is reducing the size of the fabric (number of domain id's), which is typically happening in blade environments (with NPV enabled FC active components).

Hello Walter,

Sorry if I explained bad my self, yes I have Fabric A and B, but for each device I only have 3 mds 9000 series, becasue of this I was asking about the npv and npiv features.

Thanks. 

Ok, understand ! can you please give us more information about the devices attached to this MDS. Are this rack mount servers ? or blades ? how many ?

One or more storage subsystems.

I will have this connected to EMC VPlex. And this vplex will be conected to blade servers.

Thanks. !

Blade Servers = ? UCS B-Series ?

Not all of the devices I have a big mix here.

thanks. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card