cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN and VSAN

mariangcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, when I want to use RSPAN, do I need dedicated VSAN for it ? Or VSAN 1 will do it ?

I understand that dedicated VSAN is better so there is no unnecessary traffic, but is it needed ? And if yes, where is it documented ? I didn't find it in configuration guide, but saw it in implementation redbook from IBM. Thank you

3 Replies 3

j.sargent
Level 1
Level 1

This is an interesting question. The sample configs in the configuration guide show ST and SD ports configured in VSAN 1, but the fc-tunnel is in VSAN 5. You're right - the documentation doesn't make it clear whether or not the fc-tunnel needs its own VSAN. Is there anyone at Cisco who can clear this up for us?

plowden
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You do not need a dedicated VSAN to use RSPAN, and you can use any valid VSAN. The VSAN does need to be trunked among all the switches passing RSPAN traffic. I recently set up a 4-switch (3 hop) RSPAN configuration using VSAN 1700 and it worked fine. Be sure to have an IP address in the same subnet assigned to the VSAN virtual (IPFC) interface on each switch and enable IP routing and fc-tunnel on each switch.

RSPAN is documented under "Monitoring Network Traffic With SPAN" in the configuration guides for MDS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ps4159/ps4358/products_configuration_guide_book09186a00802e22e6.html