Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a second SG-300-52 port switch

I have a SG-300-52 port switch configured Layer 3 with mutiple VLANs. I have run out of ports. What is the best way (or easiest) to bring up a second SG-300-52 port switch with the same VLAN configuration?

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Alison,

Personally, the first thing that came to mind  was to create a link aggregation group (LAG) on both switches.

Also make sure the switch is using the most current firmware,  version 1.1 it's too good not to use.

1. I would create a  link aggregation group (LAG)  to, link a few GbE ports between switches. This has to be done on both switches.

This link aggregation group creates a number of benefits, two of which are;

• multiple links between switches that improves throughput between switches and
  • provides link redundancy as well between switches.

[note: I believe, I had to remove the tagged vlans from my switch ports  ports, so that these ports could be added to   link aggregation group, as the link aggregation group will eventually be tagged for multiple VLANs.  But that's a later step.]

Here is a posting that shows the configurations steps that I used on my switch,
I think when you see the posting it may make alot more sense;

2.  On the new switch, again make sure you are using firware version 1.1.

Alison, using the same method that you used on the original switch, create your vlans on the new switch, but remember to create the LAG and add the tagged vlans to the LAG.

regards Dave.