Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic VLAN config between two SG200 switches

vasrc
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure this is possible....

Two SG200's  with a common Enet line between them on Port 25 (Trunk).

LAN is 192.168.1.x, with multiple devices ported into each switch.

Because a Ubiquity AirMax is in one building and the 1921 router is in another, I'd rather not run a new Enet cable or NanoStation to bring it into the router so I thought I'd try to VLAN the AirMax (which runs on 10.101.x.x) into port 5 of one switch and out of port 5 on the other switch and then into the router.

Doesn't seem to work.

Currently have:
Switch 1 (Router side) Port 5, VLAN Access, 99UP, Port 25 (Trunk, 1UP, 99T). Same on Switch #2..

What am I doing wrong or is not possible?

Thanks,
Z

8 Replies 8

stamador
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon, 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems.  This is what you should have configure in order to get the VLANs correctly.

A:     1921 Port =1 native, 99 trunk > 1UP,99T on the SG200)

B:     SG200 ( 1UP, 99T Port 5) > SG200 (1UP, 99T Port 5) >   

C:     On the port from the SG200 to the Access Point >99U

That is basically all you need to make sure is configured. Please let us know if this resolve your issue

Thanks for the response.

Not 100% clear on the ports and configurations.

Here's the way it's currently configured.

1921 Router (GE0/1) -> SG200#1 Port 5 -> SG200#1 Port 25 (trunk) ----> SG200#2 Port 25 (trunk) -> SG200#2 Port 5 -> AirMax dish

Leaving the 1921 router VLAN config (sub-interface?, 1 native, 99 trunk) for later :),

SG200#1 switch:
Port 5: 1UP, 99T (trunk ?)

Port 25: ???

SG200#2 switch:

Port 5: Access 99U

Port 25: ???

Sorry, this is my first VLAN..

Thanks,

Z

Please look at the attached sketch,  hopefully it will clarify some of your questions.

MUCH better, thanks.

I'm assuming I can replace switch Port 5 for Port 1 shown on the example going to the router.

On the port (5) going to the AirMax, I can only seem to configure it for 99UP. Can't get rid of the PVID.

On the router config, since it's a 1921, I'll need to do a SubInterface then?

Something like??

Only question I have is that the two VLAN's have the same IP address (ie LAN Gateway)??

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description LAN

no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip flow ingress
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly in
duplex auto
speed auto
no cdp enable
no mop enabled

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
ip address 192.168.1.201 255.255.255.0

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.99
encapsulation dot1Q 99 trunk
ip address 192.168.1.201 255.255.255.0

Thanks again,
Z

Hi vasrc,

You can use either port 1 or port 5 as long as it is configured for 1UP,99T. Also, port 5 going to the Airmax can only be set to 99UP because it is probably set as an Access port, not a trunk port. Is the Airmax set for only VLAN 99 or are you allowing multiple VLANs in the Airmax? Do you have a DHCP server for both VLAN that are on different subnets? I would suggest that you have different subnet for each VLAN. You shouldn't have the same IP address for both the subinterfaces as they are on different VLANs. The subinterfaces should be on different IP addresses. Can you tell me the subnet range for both VLAN 1 and VLAN 99 and what is the default gateway for both VLANs? I hope this helps.

The AirMax isn't setup for VLAN that I know of. It does DHCP, but it's currently configured to give me a static IP.

My original intent was to just have the devices (AirMax, Router) connect to the Port 5's, and not need VLAN, just the switches. Not sure that's possible.

Remember, all I'm trying to do is to find an easy way to connect the AirMax (in Bldg 1) to the Router (in Bldg 2), without having to run a new cable. VLAN in the switches seemed the way to do that, perhaps I'm incorrect in that assumption.

Thanks,
Z

Hi Vasrc,

You do not need to use VLAN if you want both the router and the AirMax to be in the same subnet of 192.168.1.0/24. You can use VLANs, but it will need to be configured for every device like the diagram that was created by Stamador. You can do it either way.

I was hoping the thread would just die and I wouldn't have to admit that I had the Cat6 cable plugged into the wrong port :)
My original config worked fine once I had the cabling fixed..

Thanks for all the responses.

Z