Helpful
Replies

CBS350-24XS

markusz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following requirement,
The Vmware colleagues specify a different Vlan for each host in a Nic. The Nic's of the Esxi hosts are connected to the Buisness Switches CBS350-24XS (Unit 1 + Unit 2, Stack).
The Esxi hosts must be able to reach each other, i.e. they should only exist in a broadcast domain on the switch (Unit 1 + Unit 2, Stack). So no separation through different Vlans. So actually like a cheap switch standalone that you unpack and connect everything and you can reach everything.

How do I have to configure the switch on the port and in general?

It does not work at the moment and I am a bit overwhelmed with the possible settings.
Could someone help me?

Thank you!

Greetings Markus

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...So no separation through different Vlans. 
 How do you mean  ; you already told that the  Vmware colleagues specify a different Vlan for each host in a Nic

>...like a cheap switch standalone that you unpack and connect everything and you can reach everything.
  - Following the setup of your VMware colleagues there seems more to do then just that such as assigning ports to the correct respective vlans. This means creating them on the CBS350-24XS  , for starters  , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

markusz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a special application here and the requirement is that the switch should actually work as a kind of hub, i.e. every Vlan tagged by VMware is allowed on every port.
My workaround was that I created a Vlan Range 2000-4094 (yes they have so many ID's on the VMware site) and configured each port as a mode trunk (without allowed Vlans). But I have doubts whether the switch can handle this with full port assignment (Cpu, etc.)

I know it's a strange case and I find it strange, but that's the requirement

maybe there is a clean solution?

Regards

Markus Z.

JWSC
Level 1
Level 1

From my knowledge, you can just do:  

int geX
 switchport trunk allowed vlan all (or 2000-4094)

You have to do the "allowed VLANs" afaik.  I tested it with the range and it works as well.

Hi @markusz 

If you break the network in different vlans you are actually breaking the broadcast domain. What you are trying to achieve is not possible.

If what you need is all the VM to be on the same layer2 broadcast domain, you need to put them on the same vlan. If you put each VM in a different vlan, they will be in a different broadcast domain dont matter what you do on the CBS350.

But, if what you need is the VM to communicating using IP address you can create differents interfaces vlan on the switch CBS350 and enable IP routing. This way, one VM can reach the  other using the IP address.