cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Lockup

tjston
Level 1
Level 1

I've just installed a cisco small  business SG 200-26P switch, which I did to get POE function. Replacing  a Dlink switch which was working perfectly. Now that I've done that, LTSP terminals that I am using  on this small network have started locking up. Once the lockup occurs,  the terminal needs hard restart.

I've updated firmware to latest version to no avail.

Looking  at setup for the switch: there are vastly more options than I am even  vaguely interested in. I really want just a simple, reliable, switch or  hub. A dumb hub would do the job no problem - it did with the dlink. I  am not at all interested in any of the rubbish available from confuguration  screen. The complexity of it is deeply annoying to me.

This  lockup thing: does it ring any bells with anyone out there? Anything in  configuration that might be worth trying in order to solve the problem?  Or is this equipment likely to be defective?

Much obliged by any assiatance.

regards to all, Tim Johnston.

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tim,

I can hear the frustration, but having management and lots of options is great as the  switch offers you more choices.

One being,  the error log on the SG200. and switch port counters, I wonder what the error log is displaying when the error occurs ?

If all else fails, the product is supported by a excellent warranty, you are entitles to call the Small Business Support center for support, below is a URL that shows you contact phone numbers..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

Dave

Thanks for your message. I've been away from the office and so a bit delayed in reply. I still don't like all this configuration business with this switch. I would like switches to need about as much configuration as kettles: none at all. But ended up I tuned off the "Green" feature, and the problem seems to have gone away. Someone might want to file this as potential problem with LTSP clients and these switches. Why is that "feature" there in the first place? How much power do switches use? I'd have thought very little.

regards anyway, Tim

Hi Tim,

Most Most interesting observation you made, good on you.

In retrospect and on checking with linux bugzilla, it indicates your problem is not isolated, many ethernet NIC cards and potential drivers are not too green friendly..

Why is the green feature in place, i think Green is a socially responsible technology being adopted by Cisco and other ethernet switch manufactuers, it's;

• eco-friendly product

• I love the idea of saving watts, which has a added benefit of saving me a little money per day.
  • 300 series offers 11 models without fans, to reduce operational expenditure and reduce the noise level in a small business office.

You were a bit annoyed by management and the plethora of options, you said "Istill don't like all this configuration business with this switch"..

Ethernet switch management, like democracy, hopefully gives you choices.

Can't think of one main stream ethernet switch manufacturer that hasn't incorporated green features into some of their portfolio.

Green unmanaged switched, which are available, gives you no choices, you have to accept the way the switch works.

Management gave you the ability to turn off green due to problems with your Linux terminal server clients.

Therefore management seems like a good feature for you, just a lot to take in if you are not familiar with the features.

Another posting earlier this week also used the built in diagnostics , cable check to verify if the CAT5e cabling is good or bad. Might be most interesting to verify that the cable plant is good or bad via the cable check functionality..

Here is a screen capture taken from my SG300-10P, as an example.

Again well done on diagnosing your problem

regards Dave