Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300-28P Firmware Upgrade Failure Loop

vasilioshapsis
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

We currently manage a network of approximately 10 switches all of which are Cisco SG300-28P. The firmware version on these switches is set to version 1.2.7.76 of which we require to upgrade to the latest version which is 1.3.5.58 as supplied by Cisco. Upon uploading, upgrading and rebooting the switch, the following error displays in a continuous loop:

Apr  12 12:35:20 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x11be dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Apr  12 12:35:21 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x11ba dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Apr  12 12:35:22 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x11d2 dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Oct  2 12:35:23 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x12c4 dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Apr  12 12:35:24 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x11be dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset, aggregated (1) 

Apr  12 12:35:24 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x11d6 dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Apr  12 12:35:25 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x11c0 dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Apr  12 12:35:27 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x12c8 dev_num 1 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset, aggregated (1) 

Apr  12 12:35:27 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(i2c_read_mem failed addr 0x318 dev_num 0 val 0x0) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset 

Apr  12 12:35:27 rr-cisco-sg300-mainlab-2 %HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR(HALP_config_poe_690xx_check_master_reset - Master HW RESET . val 0x0 dev_num 0!!) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset

I have tried resetting the switch by holding down the reset button, as well as powering off the switch and powering it back up with the reset button pressed. Is there no way of resolving this issue and reverting back to the previous firmware that originally worked?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Vasilios

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vasilios,

Unfortunately there is no correlation to specific firmware but rather to the actual upgrade process.

we are still working on root cause and currently the only solution is to contact Small Business Support team as they have information regarding the latest process for such an error.

Regards,

Aleksandra

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vasilios,

Unfortunately there is no correlation to specific firmware but rather to the actual upgrade process.

we are still working on root cause and currently the only solution is to contact Small Business Support team as they have information regarding the latest process for such an error.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Hi Aleksandra,

We reverted the switch back to a working configuration and left the firmware update, so long as the network is functional i dont see why i should worry upgrading the firmware. I thank you for your assistance though.

Vasilios

snavarro2
Level 1
Level 1

I have similar issue, with a SG 500-28P

In console show:

i2c_status fail : 1

In the log, from the Web Intreface says:

%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR (i2c_read_mem failed addr ....) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset.
%HAL_config_poe-A-POEFailDetected: POE ERROR (i2c_read_mem failed addr ....) was detected: POE is Disabled untill Reset.

I was do, the Factory Reset, upgrade at next firmware, cold start, and the error still continuous.
Any ideas?

Everything that i did, didn't work. Update the boot code and firmware code to the last version; don't solve the issue.

I contacted the Cisco SMB Support and they give me an RMA for my switch.
Easy: The replacement it's the solution.

Greetings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X