cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Smart Switch with Cable Modem and Wireless Routers

TREX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have never configured a switch before, and I am looking for help configuring my 200 series Smart Switch using residential cable and then connect it to two wireless routers.  I can access the web GUI for configuration and now need some guidance as to my next steps to ensure proper setup.  Below is a sample design:

----- |Wireless Router 1|

|cable modem| ------ |Switch| --

----- |Wireless Router 2|

2 Replies 2

David Wadsworth
Level 1
Level 1

You'll want to configure the routers as Access Points. If you don't mind me asking, why not go:

Modem -> Wireless Router (Wireless turned off) -> Switch -> Wireless Router (configured as AP)

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Depending on the Model of Wireless Router and its capabilities, this may not be as straightforward as it sounds.

First off, you will need a device which is going to 'NAT' traffic from your internal IP's to the Public IP assigned by the ISP.

If the cable modem does this (unlikely if purely a modem) then you have covered this off.

If not, one of your Wireless Routers is going to need to and you will either need to create some VLAN's on the switch or plug the devices in as David has suggested and only use one as a Wireless AP and one as a 'router'.

The SGxx cannot do NAT so something else is going to need to.

In terms of IP addressing, your wireless 'routers' may well have the same or two different IP ranges and both try to dish out DHCP addresses. 

The SG200 also cannot be a DHCP server, its not a supported feature so something else is going to need to.

To be honest, your best bet is to configure as David has suggested, i.e:

Modem -> Wireless Router (Wireless turned off) -> Switch -> Wireless Router (configured as AP)

This is assuming your Wireless Router can even act as a bog standard AP, some do not have this mode, they function purely as a router with WAN and LAN ports.

Thanks