cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help for Config new Tophology Issues ????

oneway_oneway
Level 1
Level 1

I have a config issues between Wiffi device WRT320N and switch SRW224G4. some body please share your knowledge. thanks all !

Topology:

Tophology.jpg

Description:

Server DHCP windows: ip 192.168.5.14

Switch core 2960: vlan 5, vlan 20

Switch access SRW224G4: vlan 5, vlan 20

Switch 2960 connect SRW224G4 trunk port

Wifi device (WRT320N) connect to switch SRW224G4 with access port

Vlan 5 can access Vlan 20

Request:

1.       PC at Vlan 20 (windows PCs, Mac PCs) can get ip address from DHCP server

2.       Laptop access Wifi can get ip from DHCP server

Issues:

1.       Windows PCs can get ip from DHCP server but MAC OS can’t get IP from DHCP server

2.       Laptop can’t get ip from DHCP server

Configuration:

Switch 2960: Trunk port connect to SW224G

interface FastEthernet0/21

description "connect to Vlan 20 "

switchport trunk allowed vlan 5,20

switchport mode trunk

Switch SRW224G4:

Home page:

Homepage_config1.jpg

Create Vlan:

Create_vlan_1.jpg

Port setting:

Vlan_ID_port_mode.JPG

Trunk port setting

Vlan_ID_port_mode1.JPG

Port to Vlan 20:  (note: G1 tagged to all Vlan on switch SRW224G4 )

Tag_port_to_Vlan1.jpg

Wifi device config : Wifi device connect to access port ( Vlan 20 ) on switch SRW224G4. The connect from switch to Wifi device connect to Lan port on wifi device.

firmware1.jpg

Question:

1.       I’ve completed configuration trunk between Switch 2960 and switch SRW224G4 as picture configuration. So only windows PCs can get ip from DHCP server, Mac OS PC ( Mac OS version 10.6.3 ) can’t get ip from DHCP server. What is the root cause of this issues ?

2.       I’ve connected Wifi to port 2 ( access port to Vlan 20 on switch SRW224G4 ) but Laptop users can’t get ip from DHCP server. How to configuration wifi to get ip from DHCP server as topology ?  please instruct me ….

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi  Mr Dang

Thank you for the questions.

You asked;

Question:

1.       I’ve completed configuration trunk between Switch 2960 and switch SRW224G4 as picture configuration. So only windows PCs can get ip from DHCP server, Mac OS PC ( Mac OS version 10.6.3 ) can’t get ip from DHCP server. What is the root cause of this issues ?

If PC can get IP address from DHCP server MAC should have no problem . I personally prefer having the SRW224G4 switch port being, that is only going to be a member of only one VLAN,  being in access mode rather than general mode.

So if switch port 3 is going to the APPLE MAC, then it should be untagged in VLAN 20 and the switch port can be in access mode..  This is a very very minor change.  DHCP should still be working now for the MAC. I think yoy have to ring up the Small Business Support Center to get this diagnosed.  It probably will involve taking a wireshark trace of the dhcp interaction between the MAC and the DHCP srever to see what is going wrong.  .

2.       I’ve connected Wifi to port 2 ( access port to Vlan 20 on switch SRW224G4 ) but Laptop users can’t get ip from DHCP server. How to configuration wifi to get ip from DHCP server as topology ?  please instruct me ….

The WRT320N  not a Access Point, if's a domestic WAN router with WIFI built in.  This device is designed as a domestic router with Wireless connectivity.  It is not designed as a WIFI Access Point.

Thank you so much for your quick response.

- question 1: I'll try to changing switch port mode to access mode instead of general mode and let you know the result.

- question 2: I really understand WRT320N  not only an Access Point. so my company prefer to use this device to extend connection. with the old tophology I connect WRT320N direct to 2960 switch ( ex: connect to port 2, port access to Vlan 20 on SW2960 with topology SW2960 <--> WRT320N) Laptop can get ip from DHCP server. Or I connect WRT320N to switch SRW224G4 not config Vlan that's mean switch with default configuration ( topology SW2960 <--> SRW224G4 <--> WRT320N ) evething work well: Laptop , Mac PC, Windows PC, Printer .... can get from DHCP server. but when i config Vlan to SRW224G4. Connect SW2960 and SRW224G4 with trunk port I have the issues that Laptop can't get ip from DHCP server. what do you think why Laptop PC can't get ip from DHCP server when I config trunk and vlan on swith SRW224G4 ?

Regards,

Quy Dang