ozkrfgm01
Level 1
Level 1

What steps to take to set up?

9 Replies 9

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Very little info to go on there, but if you asking if you can configure VPN on a switch, you cannot.  You need router or firewall to do this.  Are you interested in client VPN or site-to-site VPN?

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

My apologies, I want to set are two VLANs to separate 2 outbuildings and have a switch which want to leave SG300 core. I want to know how to perform this configuration, I'm new at this. Thank you!

ozkrfgm01
Level 1
Level 1

My apologies, I want to set are two VLANs to separate 2 outbuildings and have a switch which want to leave SG300 core. I want to know how to perform this configuration, I'm new at this. Thank you!

Are the buildings close together (like tied with copper or fiber)?  Maybe a sketch or drawing to describe your setup?  

I have the SG300 and want to switch to interconnect Cisco Catalyst 2, which are in the same rack, a switch catalyst is interconnected computers on a network called public, and the other switch is interconnected networking equipment Private call. I want to configure VLANs, switch on the SG300, which is stronger and layer 3.

OK, so it sounds like you could just create two vlans on the SG300, create access ports with each VLAN and plug each Catalyst into each access port like VLAN 10 and VLAN 20.

Then the two Catalysts switches and networks on them will be separated via SG300 as layer3 device.  

If you assign an interface ip address to each VLAN on the SG300 you can use that as a gateway to route between networks.

Does that help?

Ok, that helps, but specifically:

* How do I configure VLANs on the SG300?
* As I assign IP addresses for each interface?
* There are way they are 2 separate but interconnected networks among themselves?

Thank you!

* How do I configure VLANs on the SG300?

more or less the same as the Catalysts.  Do you have any experience with switches?  Prefer CLU or GUI?  Here are some resources: http://sbkb.cisco.com/

* As I assign IP addresses for each interface?

Same as above.  In CLI it would be like:

interface vlan 10

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

* There are way they are 2 separate but interconnected networks among themselves?

Yes, two separate broadcast domains (layer 2).  You may route between layer 2 domains via a layer 3 device (your SG300)

cristgon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ozkrfgm01,

Thank you for using the Cisco Small Business forums. My name is Cristian, I am an eContent developer and I am part of the Small Business Support Community. I was able to find the following article from out database:

I hope you will find this answer useful, and I hope you reply back with any questions or concerns.

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Regards,

Cristian Gonzalez

Cisco eContent Developer