cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Information required about Cisco sg350

MAHESH.K
Level 1
Level 1

1.How to know whether the switch is in Layer 2 or layer 3 mode.

2.How to convert layer 3 to layer 2 and vice versa in cisco sg 350 switch.

4 Replies 4

Hi 

I think my answer is for both question. 

Layer 2 and Layer 3 modes can be supported at the same time on a switch (if it is multilayer switch)

Basically you can change a switchport (layer 2) to work as layer 3 where you can configure an IP address on the interface. Also on layer 3 you can enable routing.

If a switch works on layer 2  only you cannot enable routing or assign IP addresses to physical interfaces. 

On layer 3 switches you can have for example:

Interface like layer 3

inteface g0/1
no switchport
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

Interface like layer 2

interface g0/1
switchport
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access

The SG350 Switch model should support both, layer 2 & 3.

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,

I am facing similar issue with layer 3 functionality. 

I understand your point but SG350 is a switch and In my case i have multiple SVI with IP address. In older, SG300 I used to enable layer 3 and inter VLAN routing start working. However, here I am not able to perform inter VLAN routing. Can you check my configuration and advise how to configure intervlan routing here.

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mahesh,

The switch works simultaneously in L2 and L3 mode, you can select whether you want an interface in L2 or L3 depending on your needs.

You can also refer to the admin guide for more information:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/350xg/admin_guide/AG_Tesla_350_550.pdf

Thanks,
Kris

ust because your sg350 can do layer 3 doesn't mean you need or have to use it as layer 3.  In such a simple network there would be little reason to have the switch do your internal routing.. You would loose all the firewall features of pfsense between those segments then..
So you want to run a wifi network via ssid on the same network as your lan.. Sure you can do that.. All comes down to if you want to leverage both your interfaces or just use 1 interface on pfsense with your untagged and tagged traffic.

Sg350 that move from L3 -> L2 mode will cause a factory default of the device.  You will want to make this change during a prolonged downtime so you can recreate any lost configurations.  I recommend taking a backup as well before you make the change.