cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to reset SG250 - Reset button without function

RalfP
Level 1
Level 1

I need to reset a SG250-26 to clear the password. I followed the descriptions available online, but apparently the reset button is defective(?). No matter how long I press it (even for more than a minute), no matter if network cables are still plugged in or not, no matter if I press the reset button during operation or when plugging in the power supply, there is no reboot of the router, no flashing of the ports and also no reset to factory settings.

Is there any way to set the router to factory defaults without knowing the current password and without a working reset button? Are there any jumpers inside that can be set or other possibilities (don't want to open the device until I know more about this).

Many thanks for any tips!

13 Replies 13

Hi @RalfP 

Console cable could be one possibility.

Hi @Flavio Miranda 
I still have to get a cable anyway, but I wonder whether the SG250 series, specifically my SG250-26, has a console port at all, or do you just use one of the Lan ports for that?

I dont have a physical one here to check but on the installation guide we can here

Before You Begin

Before you begin installing your device, ensure that the following items are available:

• RJ-45 Ethernet cables for connecting network devices. A category 6a and higher cable is required for 10G ports; a category 5e and higher cable is required for all other ports.

• Console cable for using the console port to manage your switch.

So would be a surprise if not. But,if not then forget it. No way you can use lan port for it.

That's why I find the manual quite confusing. My SG250-26 definitely has only the normal LAN and SFP ports at the front. On the back, there is only the power connector.
So does that mean I can keep running the switch but never change anything because I have no way to manage it anymore? Or is there a possibility to substitute the function of the non-functional rest button inside the device (e.g. by jumpers or similar) and to trigger a factory reset?

If you are not allowed to conduct a RMA or call Cisco, the only alternative I see is take a look on the device. It can be some simple problem.

Well, I bought the device at the beginning of 2017 as a private customer in Germany and so I'm not sure if RMA or anything like that is still an option.
What do you mean by "take a look on the device"?

Get to a eletronic shop and take a look on the circuits. The reset button could be broken or integrate circuit may need repair.

Are there any schematics or other overviews of the circuits and boards anywhere? Similar to what you know from motherboards? The instructions that I know are quite software-heavy.

RalfP
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Flavio Miranda 

Can I access the console at all without knowing the password?

Yes. If you did not change it, the default is cisco cisco

Does this mean that the password for the console is independent of the password for the web interface? The latter has been changed and since this is no longer available, I can no longer access the web interface and want to perform the reset.

Yes, console password and http/ssh password are differents.