cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Connectivity Design

brisen
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to increase redundancy at a site by implementing HA with firewall.  Currently only have single deployed but have purchased a second & starting to work on the connectivity.  The firewalls are FPR1140's, while the switches are CBS350-24XT's

We currently use MS Hyper-V SET (Switch Embedded Team) to connect two server interfaces to our switches.  In my testing I have found that if a server connection is lost, generally within 2-3 pings, everything is updated between the switch & server & connectivity is re-established with on the other interface.  

Since the firewalls run in an active/standby arrangement, my thought was I could create a port channel on the firewall.  Two interfaces going to the "primary path" switch, with a third interface in the channel going to the "secondary path" switch.  On each switch, I then have a corresponding LAG member config.  The two switches have their own LAG between them to allow traffic to transit.  

Switch 1 will be the STP root bridge & Fast Link set to auto.  This seems like would give us good resiliency if losing an interface, or entire network element.  There looks to be a backup path that can be utilized once the LACP & STP protocols reconverge.

If FW1 fails, path should be SW1 > FW2

If SW1 fails, path should be SW2 > FW1

If SW1 & FW1 are both down, path should be SW2 > FW2

And vice versa.  

Anyone have thoughts on this approach?  I am trying to design around a network element SPOF. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies 4

Are SW  stack to each other ?

MHM

brisen
Level 1
Level 1

Not at the moment as I thought using STP would be sufficient.  But I certainly can put them in a stack if that's what it's going to take.

No friend you need to connect SW as stack 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-ngfw/215351-configure-verify-and-troubleshoot-port.html

Check this link it can help you 

MHM

brisen
Level 1
Level 1

Excellent.  Thank you very much for your insight & the link.