cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF300-24P IPV4 Interface only supports a single address

netmarcos
Level 1
Level 1

I have a refurb SF300-24PP 24-Port 10/100 PoE+ Managed Switch (1.4.11.5) that only allows for a single IPV4 address on the management interface. It does provide for multiple IPV6 addresses but that is not helpful in this case. I am assuming that this was originally a custom configuration for a datacenter. Is it possible to restore the code or find some other workaround that will allow this switch to fully support multiple VLANs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

Cisco Small Business 300 Series Managed Switch Administration Guide Release 1.3.5

Page 269

Layer 2 IP Addressing

In Layer 2 system mode, the device has up to one IPv4 address and up to two IPv6 interfaces (either “native” interface or Tunnel) in the management VLAN.

Page 270

Layer 3 IP Addressing In Layer 3 system mode, the device can have multiple IP addresses. Each IP address can be assigned to specified ports, LAGs, or VLANs. These IP addresses are configured in the IPv4 Interface and IPv6 Interfaces pages in Layer 3 system mode. This provides more network flexibility than the Layer 2 system mode, in which only a single IP address can be configured. Operating in Layer 3 system mode, the device can be reached at all its IP addresses from the corresponding interfaces.

Kris K

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi

I dont believe it will support multiples IP on the management interface  dont matter the code. But, it should support multiples Vlans.

"Static routing/Layer 3 switching between VLANs: This capability allows you to segment your network into separate workgroups and communicate across VLANs without degrading application performance. As a result, you can manage internal routing with your switches and dedicate your router to external traffic and security, helping your network run more efficiently."

VLAN

Support for up to 4096 VLANs simultaneously Port-based and 802.1Q tag-based VLANs MAC-based VLAN

Management VLAN

Private VLAN Edge (PVE), also known as protected ports, with multiple uplinks

Guest VLAN Unauthenticated VLAN

Dynamic VLAN assignment via Radius server along with 802.1x client authentication

CPE VLAN

netmarcos
Level 1
Level 1

This is not the case with the other switches on my network and it does support multiple IPV6 addresses. How then would I associate a VLAN (other than 1) to an IP address?

For management IP address I understand the IP you use for manage the device. 

Now, you can have multiples vlans with its respective IP address, what we call interface vlans.

Maybe we are talking about tje same thing but using different terminology

My point is that there is no facility in my switch to create, assign, or associate an IP range or subnet to a VLAN. It seems to be missing entirely except for IPV6.

netmarcos_0-1687363773560.png

netmarcos
Level 1
Level 1

Furthermore, when I attempt to assign an IP address to any other VLAN, it will establish that interface as the default management interface address, no matter how many times a try to do otherwise, leaving my VLANs inoperable still.

Where did I go wrong? Is this hardware simply incapable of supporting multiple VLANs in L2 mode?
netmarcos_0-1687379823527.png

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

Cisco Small Business 300 Series Managed Switch Administration Guide Release 1.3.5

Page 269

Layer 2 IP Addressing

In Layer 2 system mode, the device has up to one IPv4 address and up to two IPv6 interfaces (either “native” interface or Tunnel) in the management VLAN.

Page 270

Layer 3 IP Addressing In Layer 3 system mode, the device can have multiple IP addresses. Each IP address can be assigned to specified ports, LAGs, or VLANs. These IP addresses are configured in the IPv4 Interface and IPv6 Interfaces pages in Layer 3 system mode. This provides more network flexibility than the Layer 2 system mode, in which only a single IP address can be configured. Operating in Layer 3 system mode, the device can be reached at all its IP addresses from the corresponding interfaces.

Kris K