cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF300 24P VLAN setup

ggoff1976
Level 1
Level 1

so we have put an SF300 switch as a core switch in our site and we have kind of an odd set up...we have 2 incoming lines which go to a small switch, then to our ASA, then from there go on to hit our sf300 switch via one ethernet wire. We have lines going out to PC's and printers, and 1 fiber line going to our back offices from there. Almost all ports have VOIP phones attached as well as PC's on the other side of the phones. I was told by our VOIP vendor that i would need to set up access mode on our incoming line in order for our phones to be seperated out onto thier own VLAN, but from what im reading it seems that if i do that on our incoming line in the switch then thats only going to let either the phones, OR the PC/printers get through; as we want them to both be on seperate VLANs. so am i correct in this or would that work?

we also have the fiber line that is acting kind of wierd. i have them all tagged right now, and it runs to another switch in the back and from there branches off to another switch and one user phone and PC via ethernet. however i think on our old switch(its been disconnected and is out of the building already) they were untagged ports. where would i go to find information on port tagging with a set up like ours? I havent been able to see anything of any relevance yet.

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gary, could you please make a diagram so it's a bit more clear?

so we have put an SF300 switch as a  core switch in our site and we have kind of an odd set up...we have 2  incoming lines which go to a small switch,

Sounds like an unmanaged switch basically aggregating traffic somehow

then to our ASA, then from  there go on to hit our sf300 switch via one ethernet wire.

Okay, what license does the ASA have? The base license or a license that supports more than 1 vlan?

We have lines  going out to PC's and printers, and 1 fiber line going to our back  offices from there. Almost all ports have VOIP phones attached as well  as PC's on the other side of the phones.

A port connecting directly to a computer or printer should be an untagged vlan. A port which shares a phone + computer, the port should be configured as data vlan untagged, voice vlan tagged.

I was told by our VOIP vendor  that i would need to set up access mode on our incoming line in order  for our phones to be seperated out onto thier own VLAN,

This doesn't sound right and needs clarification. From my previous note, if you have a phone connecting to the switch and a computer connecting to the phone, it is data vlan untagged, voice vlan tagged. If the phone has nothing connecting to it then the port the phone connects to is voice vlan untagged. If the provider means the link between the SX300 and the ASA, this should be a trunk with data vlan untagged, voice vlan tagged.

but from what im  reading it seems that if i do that on our incoming line in the switch  then thats only going to let either the phones, OR the PC/printers get  through; as we want them to both be on seperate VLANs. so am i correct  in this or would that work?

If your link between the SX300 and the ASA has only 1 vlan specified, only the 1 vlan will work

we  also have the fiber line that is acting kind of wierd. i have them all  tagged right now, and it runs to another switch in the back and from  there branches off to another switch and one user phone and PC via  ethernet. however i think on our old switch(its been disconnected and is  out of the building already) they were untagged ports. where would i go  to find information on port tagging with a set up like ours? I havent  been able to see anything of any relevance yet.

Was that user computer connecting through the phone or did they consume 2 ports? The switch out back, is it managed or unmanaged? If it is unmanaged, it cannot understand vlan tags. Meaning if you connect that switch to a port which is a member of the data or voice vlan it will only be a member of that vlan and you can't separate it.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/