Views
Helpful
Replies

SG 300-28: losing password

bernd.lentes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have two SG 300-28. I configured a password, and afterwards i saved the running configuration to the startup configuration. But afterwards i could login without a password ! How can this happen ?

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

7 Replies 7

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by configured a password ?.

• Did you create a username and password. .
  • create a privileged level and password conbination  for access to the console port

What exactly did you try to achieve, really need some more details ? 

Did you try the same sort of thing,  that i just did below;

switch38cf#conf t

switch38cf(config)#ip telnet server  (did this so I could telenet into the box)

switch38cf(config)#no passwords complexity enable

switch38cf(config)#username dave privilege 15 pass letmein

switch38cf(config)#exit

switch38cf#wr

Overwrite file [startup-config] ?[Yes/press any key for no] yes

....22-May-2011 04:54:12 %COPY-I-FILECPY: Files Copy - source URL running-config destination URL flash://startup-config

22-May-2011 04:54:14 %COPY-N-TRAP: The copy operation was completed successfully Copy succeeded

But using the GUI is not a bad thing to use to configure the switch, especially if you are not used the this form  of command line interface.

regards Dave

Hi,

i created a password for the user cisco. For some time it worked, but suddenly i could login the user cisco without a password, and i don't have any idea why.

It did it using the web interface.

But i'd like to know how can i configure the way you did. If i login via telnet or ssh, i have a menu to configure, but not the CLI you used. Where do i find this CLI ?

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Ah......i think all you need to  upgrade the firmware in your switches.

If you have no cli,  or a option for "textview" from the console menu, I am guessing that you are using a older form of firmware.

Verify that you have a older version of firmware older than firmware version 1.1.2.0

Grab the newer firmware from the following location;

chick here

Read the administrators guide on performing a firmware upgrade, but the basic process is from the GUI;

Step 1.   Administration > File Management > Upgrade/Backup Firmware

Step 2. "choose file"  and load the new firmware onto the switch

step 3.  Now select as highlighted in the screen shot " Active Image"

step 4.  Using the dropdown as shown in 1 (in screen caprture) Select firmware 1.1.2.0 to the the active image after reboot. and apply.  Then reboot the unit as shown in 3 (in screen caprture).

regards Dave

Hi David,

thanks for the quick reply. Now i have a CLI. But was is about my lost password ? Do you have any idea ?

Btw: how can i change the emailadress in my profile ?

Thanks.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

I have no idea how to change the notification email address within this community..

But with lost passwords on two switches.. I really am guessing that there is some sort of operational issue, rather than a hardware issue.

If you could be so kind as to contact the Small business Support center (SBSC)  and allow them to use a collaborative service such as webex to your desktop and see what is happening. 

I really doubt if the switches are bad.

The Switches are covered by a tremendous warranty, so avail your self of that service, and speak to the good folk at the Small business Support Center.  Contact information is on the following link.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

regards Dave

This issue is present in 1.1.2.0 as well. Each time the issue occured the device had been online for a long period of time without being accessed. Power cycling the device restored proper login capability.

podcdonner
Level 1
Level 1

I did not occur to me to try logging in without a password until I saw your post. Indeed, the switch seems to "forget" the admin account's password in certain circumstances, and looging in as user cisco without a password worked!? Very odd.

If this is how the switch tells me that I have to upgrade the firmware, kudos, very creative.