cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG-300 Odd Behavior on non-default VLAN

scott.pendleton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG-300 with version 1.4.2.4 and am experiencing an issue using VLANs. The switch is in layer-2 mode.  I have a FioS gateway router to which I want to put in VLAN 198 along with some other devices.  Whether I configure those ports as access, trunk, or general, The FiOS router won't give out DHCP addresses unless the PVID on the port is VLAN 1.  If workstation 1 and the FIOS router are on an access port in VLAN 1, everything works. If I configure those ports as trunks with native VLAN as 1, everything works. If I configure the native VLAN on those ports as 198, DHCP breaks.  If I configure them as access ports with Untagged VLAN as 198, DHCP breaks.  If I configure them as general ports with PVID as 198 (no filtering, admit all)  DHCP breaks.  This doens't make sense to me as if they are access ports the virtual connections are made on the backplane and the devices would be totally unaware they are on a VLAN. 

Update:  Upgraded to 1.4.10.6 and still have the same behavior

Update 2:  If I change the switch default VLAN to 198 via the default VLAN settings,  everything works when the ports are in access VLAN 198. I also verified via the FioS Router's log that the Router is not receiving DHCP requests when it is connected to a port who PVID is different than the switch default VLAN.  This is definitely a bug that the switch is doing something on the non-default VLANs that is breaking it.   I also tried setting a static IP when in the non-default VLAN and that does not work either.  However the issue is only with the FioS router.  Other Static IP'd devices can communicate. 

Now instead trying to punt and say this is a FioS Router issue, I argue it is not. Any device connected to an port in access mode should be completely unaware of anything on the switch as it should receive a standard IEEE non tagged frame. It should be no different from the devices perspective than if it were connected to an unmanaged switch

Update 3:   I configured another managed switch in the same manner with two access ports in VLAN 198 and it works flawlessly.  This issue is most definitely an issue with the SG300. 

Update 4: just for grins I connected the FioS router in VLAN 198 as an access port on the other managed switch and then trunked all VLAN over to the SG300.  I connected the workstation to an access port in 198 on the SG300.  This worked. However if I reverse it and plug the FioS router into the SG300 and the workstation on the other switch, its broken.  The only other thing I could do to troubleshoot is if I had and inline sniffer to capture an analyze the frames between the Router and SG300. A SPAN port I don't think would work since that's a copy and not the actual frame leaving the switch. That is only definitive proof that I provide that the SG300 is mangling something in the frame that the FioS router won't accept. However all other evidence points in that direction.

I'd leave them as VLAN 1 except I have an Access Point where the FioS network SSID is trunked as VLAN 198, so I have to have it working on somthing other than VLAN 1

**Mark all helpful posts and solutions**
15 Replies 15

No log mismatch message just one being VLAN1 and the other being VLAN4.  Both sides are defined as access ports.